USA snare first ever Four Nations title
Sydney, Australia, March 22, 2016 - Americans Sarah Sponcil and Torrey van Winden staged an epic fightback to win the inaugural Four Nations beach volleyball challenge at Sydney’s Manly Beach.
USA's Sarah Sponcil and Torrey van Winden collect the winners' cup|
Down one set and trailing 11-7 to Brazil in the second, the Americans clawed their way back in the rain to level the match, before holding their nerve to take the third set and the gold medal, 15-13.
Earlier Australia’s Brittany Kendall and Shelby Maher won bronze, beating Japan 2-0.
The Four Nations is an event for international women’s U21 teams, with all four teams competing at Manly this week heading to the FIVB Beach Volleyball U21 World Championships later this year.
Sponcil and van Torren were the dominant team of the tournament, remaining undefeated in just their second event together.
But van Torren said the final against Brazil’s Ana Silva Ramos and Victoria Lopes Pereira Tosta was a tough struggle.
“It was going back and forth all match, so I thought if we could get a run of maybe two points I had a lot of confidence we could do it,” van Winden said.
“We came into this event not knowing what the other teams were going to look like, but we knew they were really strong countries.
“We were stoked to be able to get a look at them before the World Championships.”
Australia’s Kendall and Maher said there was plenty of room for improvement in their game.
“I think we played a solid tournament, but we had some ups and downs and there are some things we’ve got to work on when we go back home to Adelaide,” Kendall said.
“We are so stoked to have qualified for the World Championships. We played well in the qualifiers and earned our spot, so we’re really looking forward to it.”
The final event at Manly’s Volleyfest will be the Asian Championships, beginning Friday.
The Australian challenge will be led by HelloWorld Volleyroos Damien Schumann and Josh Court in the men's event, and Nikki Laird and Mariafe Artacho del Solar in the women's.
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win
- Olympic anniversary celebrated with Legends match