Puerto Rico to host World Olympic Qualification Tournament
Lausanne, Switzerland, March 1, 2016 - San Juan, Puerto Rico has been selected to host the Women's World Olympic Qualification Tournament from May 20-22. The four-team competition will take place at the Coliseo Roberto Clemente and qualify the winners for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
Puerto Rico will host the World Olympic Qualification Tournament from May 20-22|
Puerto Rico has a long-standing experience of organising international sports events and over the years has hosted 12 continental volleyball championships, FIVB Volleyball World League and World Grand Prix events as well as the 2015 edition of the FIVB Volleyball U20 Women's World Championship. The World Olympic Qualification Tournament will be one of the biggest sporting events in Puerto Rico in the build-up to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
Players and travelling fans will be welcomed to the vibrant city of San Juan by a wide selection of hotels and restaurants. Accessible from the recently renovated Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport, the Roberto Clemente Coliseum is a modern multisport complex with a capacity for 10,000 spectators.
The World Olympic Qualification Tournament in Puerto Rico will decide which country claims the 12th and last berth up for grabs at this year's Summer Games’ women's volleyball tournament.
The winners will join seven countries that have already qualified for this year’s Olympic tournament, including hosts Brazil, FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup winners China and runners-up Serbia, European Olympic Qualification Tournament winners Russia, NORCECA Olympic Qualification winners USA, South American Olympic Qualification Tournament winners Argentina, and African Olympic Qualification Tournament winners Cameroon.
Four more teams will join the competition in Rio from the World Olympic Qualification Tournament and Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament scheduled to take place from May 14 to 22 in Japan.
Click here for more information about the Olympic qualification process.
- President Graça: "FIVB World Congress an opportunity to reflect, celebrate and look ahead"
- Josh Binstock comes full circle in Toronto ahead of retirement
- Rio 2016 Volleyball House legacy starting to be felt
- Japan to host its first-ever FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship in Kobe
- 35th FIVB Congress to open in period of unprecedented growth for volleyball
- Eczacibasi celebrate golden anniversary ahead of Club Worlds
- Official FIVB World Congress website now open
- Buenos Aires to welcome Volleyball Your Way festival
- Preparations in full swing at PSL Manila
- Galaxy of Olympic stars in 2016-17 Brazil Superleagues
- Brilliant Barbara, Fabulous Fernanda newest Brazilian beach duo
- Olympic champs Ludwig and Walkenhorst aiming for new heights
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- 2017 World League Finals bidding process launched
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 World Grand Prix Group 2
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised