South American Women's Club Championship set to begin
La Plata, Argentina, February 23, 2016 - An official presentation of the South American Women's Club Championship was made in the Salón Dorado in the La Plata City Hall on Tuesday morning.
The Argentine teams participating in the competition were present at the opening ceremony|
The competition will take place from February 24 to 28 with six teams from Argentina, Peru, Brazil, Bolivia and Uruguay participating. It is hosted by Club Gimnasia y Esgrima, one of Argentina's most important women's clubs. The winners will qualify for the FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship later this year.
The presentation was attended by City Hall Mayor, Julio Garro, but also by City Hall General Secretary, Javier Mor Roig, FeVA Under-Seretary and Tournament Director Fabian Ramon, Club Gimnasia y Esgrima de la Plata President Daniel Onofri and La Plata Volleyball representative Alicia Casamiquela. A ceremony was held to open the first ever South American Championship in Argentina in the presence of the two Argentine teams of GELP and Club Vila Dora, part of the Club Olympic team from Bolivia and coach Juan Ferreira from Uruguay.
"We welcome and thank everyone, and are very proud of holding this competition in our city. We also greet the teams in this year's event. We are happy to help Argentine volleyball to keep developing," said City Hall Mayor Julio Garro.
"For the Argentine Volleyball Federation it is a great challenge to organise such an important continental competition. We chose La Plata because volleyball and specially women's volleyball is very important here. Las Lobas (GELP) and the Casamiquela family are the symbol of the growth of our sport in this city," said FeVA representative Fabian Ramon.
For GELP President Daniel Onofri, who presented the City Hall Mayor with the official t-shirt of the competition, "This competition is a great test for our club to show its ability to organise such a tournament."
Last but not least, Alicia Casamiquela said: "I love this country, I love the city, I love volleyball and I love this club, so this competition can only be a great pleasure for me. Thanks to everyone for making it possible." Casamiquela is the former coach of the local team and mother of the team's current coach Paula Casamiquela, and also of the international referee who will represent Argentina at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
The competition will be broadcast live by the website of the South American Volleyball Confederation: www.voleysur.org
Pool A: Villa Dora (ARG), Universidad San Martín de Porres (PER), Juan Ferrerira (URU)
Pool B: Rexona Ades (BRA), Olympic (BOL), GELP (ARG)
- 35th FIVB Congress to open in period of unprecedented growth for volleyball
- Eczacibasi celebrate golden anniversary ahead of Club Worlds
- Official FIVB World Congress website now open
- Buenos Aires to welcome Volleyball Your Way festival
- Preparations in full swing at PSL Manila
- Galaxy of Olympic stars in 2016-17 Brazil Superleagues
- Brilliant Barbara, Fabulous Fernanda newest Brazilian beach duo
- Iran, China to clash in final of Men's AVC Cup
- Olympic champs Ludwig and Walkenhorst aiming for new heights
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- 2017 World League Finals bidding process launched
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 World Grand Prix Group 2
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada