South American Women's Club Championship set to begin
La Plata, Argentina, February 23, 2016 - An official presentation of the South American Women's Club Championship was made in the Salón Dorado in the La Plata City Hall on Tuesday morning.
The Argentine teams participating in the competition were present at the opening ceremony|
The competition will take place from February 24 to 28 with six teams from Argentina, Peru, Brazil, Bolivia and Uruguay participating. It is hosted by Club Gimnasia y Esgrima, one of Argentina's most important women's clubs. The winners will qualify for the FIVB Volleyball Women's Club World Championship later this year.
The presentation was attended by City Hall Mayor, Julio Garro, but also by City Hall General Secretary, Javier Mor Roig, FeVA Under-Seretary and Tournament Director Fabian Ramon, Club Gimnasia y Esgrima de la Plata President Daniel Onofri and La Plata Volleyball representative Alicia Casamiquela. A ceremony was held to open the first ever South American Championship in Argentina in the presence of the two Argentine teams of GELP and Club Vila Dora, part of the Club Olympic team from Bolivia and coach Juan Ferreira from Uruguay.
"We welcome and thank everyone, and are very proud of holding this competition in our city. We also greet the teams in this year's event. We are happy to help Argentine volleyball to keep developing," said City Hall Mayor Julio Garro.
"For the Argentine Volleyball Federation it is a great challenge to organise such an important continental competition. We chose La Plata because volleyball and specially women's volleyball is very important here. Las Lobas (GELP) and the Casamiquela family are the symbol of the growth of our sport in this city," said FeVA representative Fabian Ramon.
For GELP President Daniel Onofri, who presented the City Hall Mayor with the official t-shirt of the competition, "This competition is a great test for our club to show its ability to organise such a tournament."
Last but not least, Alicia Casamiquela said: "I love this country, I love the city, I love volleyball and I love this club, so this competition can only be a great pleasure for me. Thanks to everyone for making it possible." Casamiquela is the former coach of the local team and mother of the team's current coach Paula Casamiquela, and also of the international referee who will represent Argentina at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
The competition will be broadcast live by the website of the South American Volleyball Confederation: www.voleysur.org
Pool A: Villa Dora (ARG), Universidad San Martín de Porres (PER), Juan Ferrerira (URU)
Pool B: Rexona Ades (BRA), Olympic (BOL), GELP (ARG)
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win