Olympic Games Countdown - USA and USSR prevail in Seoul
Lausanne, Switzerland, February 18, 2016 - It could be said that the women’s Olympic volleyball competition of 1988 turned on two fateful moments, the first coming when Africa declined to enter a team, and a qualification tournament for their place was held in Italy. It was won by the three times Olympic champions USSR (East Germany had qualified as European champions).
USA men's team celebrate their triumphant gold medal victory over the USSR at the 1988 Seoul Olympic Games|
With reigning world and Olympic champions China as well as twice Olympic champions Japan, the competition in Seoul was always going to be fierce. And there were dark horses in the shape of Peru, who had been on the podium at the 1982 and 1986 World Championships and were led by Cecilia Tait and Denise Fajardo, considered among the best female players in the world at that time.
In the event it was the USSR and Peru who reached the final. China took the bronze medal from Japan in straight sets, but the final itself was a real nail-biter. Peru took the first two sets, and led 12-6 in the third, just three points from their country’s second-ever Olympic gold medal. But then came the second fateful moment.
Soviet coach Nicolai Karpol called a timeout and made three changes and watched as his team came from behind to win the third set, then the fourth and take the first six points of the fifth. But Peru were not finished. They clawed their way back to 7-7, fell behind again, then went in front 15-14. But after both teams had fought off match points it was the Soviet Union who prevailed, 3-2 (10-15, 12-15, 15-13, 15-7, 17-15).
In the men’s event defending champions USA, led by the peerless Karch Kiraly, came through the pool phase unbeaten despite being taken to five sets by Argentina (who eventually finished third after beating Brazil in a marathon third-place match that lasted three hours and 10 minutes). In the final, after dropping the first set USA proved too powerful for the USSR, winning 3-1 (13-15, 15-10, 15-4, 15-8).
This article is one of a series in the run-up to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games as the FIVB looks back at previous Olympic volleyball tournaments.
Tokyo 1964 Olympic Games click here.
Mexico City 1968 Olympic Games click here.
Munich 1972 Olympic Games click here.
Montreal 1976 Olympic Games click here.
Moscow 1980 Olympic Games click here.
Los Angeles 1984 Olympic Games click here.
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016