Protection of volleyball’s status as a clean sport tops European Medical Commission agenda
Luxembourg, February 5, 2016 - The annual meeting of the European Medical Commission (EMC) chaired by Prof Dr Manfred Holzgraefe took place on Friday at the CEV headquarters in Luxembourg City. It was the first opportunity for President Holzgraefe and EMC Secretary Dr. Zoran Nikolovski to meet with all the commission members following last year’s CEV General Assembly and the elections held in Bulgaria’s capital, Sofia.
EMC President Dr. Manfred Holzgraefe and his colleagues had their annual meeting earlier this week at the CEV headquarters in Luxembourg |
As a result, the EMC President took some time to introduce to the new colleagues a number of procedures already in place when it comes to the work of the EMC and to the organisation and supervision of doping controls carried out at volleyball and beach volleyball competitions placed under the CEV umbrella.
Dr. Holzgraefe then gave a detailed report on the work carried out by the FIVB Medical Commission as well as on future plans for development in order to promote a clean sport.
Specifically regarding doping controls, he informed his colleagues that in order to follow the latest WADA guidelines and to further extend the fight against doping, blood samples are now also being collected and tested next to the urine samples which have been delivered for a number of years already.
On top of this, the collection of all information is being transitioned to an electronic system which sees the NADOs representatives recording test data on tablets during competitions and sent straight to WADA through their ADAMS database, thereby easing up the processing and management of all information relating to doping controls.
Following last year’s elections and some changes in its composition, the EMC has also revised the procedure previously in place for the review of applications submitted by medical personnel (physiotherapists and team doctors) leading to the eventual provision of a CEV authorisation allowing these officials to sit on the bench during matches and to assist their respective players to the best of their abilities.
The European Medical Commission will continue to work intensively in order to safeguard the image of volleyball and beach volleyball as clean sports and will further monitor the physical and psychological condition of all match officials, thereby making sure they are up to the demanding tasks they are required to fulfil.
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win