English pair chase Rio dream
Lausanne, Switzerland, January 26, 2016 - With a little over two weeks to go before the start of the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Kish Island Open in Iran from February 15 to 19, English pair Chris Gregory and Jake Sheak are raising funds for their bid to qualify for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.
Chris Gregory and Jake Sheak hope to represent England at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games|
The two players combine work and a demanding training schedule and after representing Great Britain at the Baku European Games in 2015 have launched a crowdfunding project - Sponsorise Me, in collaboration with Powerade - as part of their bid to qualify for the Olympics.
“We’ve got a busy year ahead of us if we want to make the Olympics,” said Chris. “With a busy World Tour calendar and CEV and NEZVA in the pipeline, there is a lot for us to plan – and pay for.”
The team aim to finish in the top five of the European Tour tournaments they play. They will also aim to play World Tour Opens in Kish Island (Iran), Doha (Qatar), Xiamen and Fuzhou (China) as part of their preparations for the final phase of the CEV Continental Cup in June.
“We’re currently in our hard pre-season training block which includes a lot of strength and fitness work, plus some skills work,” said Chris. “This averages out at around 20 hours per week of training over 12 or so sessions.
“We both also work for Youth Sport Trust as Athlete Mentors and we work three days a week with them when we’re in the UK.
“We’ve launched our Sponsorise Me campaign to see if we can raise much needed funds to help us to continue on our Road to Rio, to represent our fantastic sport at its pinnacle event.”
For more information, click here.
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Lupo and Nicolai staying grounded despite Rio silver
- Schedule set as World Tour Finals countdown enters final week