Teams confirmed for World Olympic Qualification Tournament in Japan
Lausanne, Switzerland, January 15, 2016 - The line-up of teams qualified for the Men's and Women's World Olympic and Asian Olympic Qualification Tournament at the Metropolitan Gymnasium in Tokyo, Japan has been confirmed. A draw will be held in March.
The World Olympic Qualification Tournament will take place at the Metropolitan Gymnasium in Tokyo|
The eight-team women's competition will take place from May 14 to 22. Japan will be joined by Korea (World Rank 9), Thailand (WR 13), Kazakhstan (WR 26) - the top three Asian teams in the FIVB World Ranking, the Netherlands (WR 14) and Italy (WR 8), respectively second and third at the European Olympic Qualification Tournament, Peru, who were second at the South American Olympic Qualification Tournament, and the Dominican Republic, second at the NORCECA Olympic Qualification Tournament.
The eight-team men's competition will take place from May 28 to June 5. Hosts Japan will be joined by Iran (World Rank 8), Australia (WR 13), China (WR 19) - the top three Asian teams in the FIVB World Ranking, France (WR 10) and Poland (WR 2) - who were respectively second and third at the European Olympic Qualification Tournament, Venezuela (WR 20), who were second at the South American Olympic Qualification Tournament, and Canada, second at the NORCECA Olympic Qualification Tournament.
In each gender, the top three ranked teams plus the best ranked Asian team will qualify for the Olympics. If an Asian team is ranked among the top three, then the next ranked team will be qualified.
The final vacancy per gender for the Rio 2016 Olympic Games will be decided at a second World Olympic Qualification Tournament due to be held in the period from May 14 to June 5, 2016. The third placed team from the South American Olympic Qualification Tournament, the third placed team from the NORCECA Olympic Qualification Tournament and the second and third placed teams from the African Olympic Qualification Tournament will compete for the last berth.
Read more about the Olympic qualification process here.
- Brilliant Barbara, Fabulous Fernanda newest Brazilian beach duo
- Iran, China to clash in final of Men's AVC Cup
- Olympic champs Ludwig and Walkenhorst aiming for new heights
- Bidding process opened for 2017 Men's Club World Championship
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- 2017 World League Finals bidding process launched
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 World Grand Prix Group 2
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”