World Olympic Qualification Tournament logo launched
Lausanne, Switzerland, January 13, 2016 - The logo of the World Olympic Qualification Tournaments in Japan has been launched ahead of the events due to take place from May 14 to 22 (Women) and from May 28 to June 5 (Men). Its vibrant colours reflect what are sure to be exciting events with the World Olympic Qualification Tournaments in Japan also doubling as qualification events for Asia.
The logo of the World Olympic Qualification Tournament in Japan|
Hosts (Japan) will be joined by the top three ranked teams from Asia according to the FIVB Women’s and Men’s world rankings. In the men's competition that means Australia, China and Iran. Korea, Thailand and Kazakhstan will join Japan in the women's tournament.
The tournaments will also feature the second and third placed teams from the European Olympic Qualification Tournaments (Men: France and Poland / Women: Netherlands and Italy), the second placed team from the South American Olympic Qualification Tournament (Men: Venezuela / Women: Peru) and the second placed team from the NORCECA Olympic Qualification Tournament (Men: Canada / Women: Dominican Republic).
The best ranked Asian team and the top three ranked teams per gender will qualify for the Olympics. If an Asian team is ranked among the top three, then the next ranked team will be qualified.
A second World Olympic Qualification Tournament is also due to be held in the period from May 14 to June 5, 2016. It will feature the third placed team from the South American Olympic Qualification Tournaments (Men: Chile / Women: Colombia), the third placed team from the NORCECA Olympic Qualification Tournaments (Men: Mexico / Women: Puerto Rico) and the second and third placed teams from the African Olympic Qualification Tournaments (Men: Tunisia and Algeria / Women: TBC), who will compete for a final berth available for each gender.
Click here for the latest update on the Olympic qualification process.
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win