Egypt and Tunisia to vie for Rio Olympic ticket
Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo, January 11, 2016 - Once more, African giants Egypt and Tunisia will play to earn a place at the Olympics after both sides beat their opponents in the semifinals of the 2016 African Men's Olympic Qualification Tournament at Elende Hall in Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo on Monday.
Egypt dominated the net to book final ticket |
It was a fairly straightforward match for three-time Olympians Egypt, who defeated Cameroon in straight sets 3-0 (25-22, 25-17, 25-19), while six-time qualifiers Tunisia had to play aggressively for 133 minutes to overpower Algeria in a grueling five setter 3-2 (24-26, 25-22, 15-25, 28-26, 15-13).
In the match for fifth place, hosts the Republic of the Congo defeated their neighbours the Democratic Republic of the Congo 3-0 (25-22, 26-24, 25-18).
Egypt's coach used most of his players in the match against Cameroon, to distribute the effort to all players ahead of the final on Tuesday. Egypt, however, dominated the match thoroughly and won in straight sets.
Tunisia came from a set behind twice to beat a new Algerian formation in an epic tiebreaker that kept the spectators on their toes to the end.
Egypt will take on Tunisia officially for the fourth time this year after Egypt won the final of the 2015 Men's African Nations Championship 3-0, their FIVB Volleyball World Cup encounter 3-2 and their first round Pool A match 3-0.
The winner of the tournament will book a ticket to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. The second- and third-placed teams will earn another opportunity to qualify for the Olympics through the World Olympic Qualification Tournament to be held later this year.
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Lupo and Nicolai staying grounded despite Rio silver
- Schedule set as World Tour Finals countdown enters final week
- A month after opening, Brazil still bask in Rio 2016 gold glory
- Relive Egypt's Olympic beach volleyball debut
- One month after first serve, memories of Rio still stay strong
- Reminiscing Rio and the delights of Copacabana