Hosts Canada emerge as favourites in Edmonton
Edmonton, Canada, January 7, 2016 - The NORCECA Men’s Volleyball Olympic Qualification Tournament, a four-team competition, serves off on Friday at the Saville Community Sports Centre in Edmonton located in the north western region of Canada.
Canada had a successful year in 2015 and seem to be ready for a jump start in the new year|
Hosts Canada, Cuba, Puerto Rico and Mexico will play to earn a berth at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. The competition winners will qualify automatically. The second placed team from the NORCECA Olympic Qualification Tournament will get another chance to qualify for the Summer Games in Brazil at the World Olympic Qualification Tournament which will take place in May or June. The third placed team from the NORCECA Olympic Qualification Tournament will also get another chance to qualify for Rio at the second World Olympic Qualification Tournament also to be held in May or June.
Canada, currently ranked No. 10 in the world and playing at home, are considered as pre-tournament favourites but stiff competition is expected from the sides from Cuba (15th), Puerto Rico (22th) and Mexico (24th). The United States, the major power in the NORCECA region, are already qualified for Rio as the winners of the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup.
The four teams competing in Edmonton were determined by the top four positions from the NORCECA Men’s Continental Tournament held in Monterrey, Mexico last October. Canada won their first ever title at the zonal biennial competition by defeating Cuba 3-1 (25-23, 19-25, 25-18, 25-17). Puerto Rico defeated Mexico in straight sets for the bronze medal.
The victory at the continental tournament was part of a successful year for the team coached by Glenn Hoag as the Canadian men also claimed the crown at the NORCECA Champions Cup, a four-team qualifier to the World Cup held in Detroit, USA last May, capped by a sensational five-set seesaw triumph over hosts United States 3-2 (25-22, 19-25, 21-25, 25-21, 17-15). Cuba defeated Mexico in straight sets for the third position.
The Canadians also finished with a bronze medal at home during the volleyball tournament of the Pan American Games held in Toronto in July with a 3-1 (25-11, 25-12, 23-25, 25-18) win over Puerto Rico. They were also the best positioned team of NORCECA at the annual Men’s Pan American Cup in Reno, USA in August with a fourth place behind Brazil, Argentina and Venezuela.
All the matches will be streamed at www.cbc.ca while Saturday’s match between Canada and Puerto Rico will be live on national television on CBC.
Match schedule (in local time)
17.00 Canada v Mexico
19.00 Cuba v Puerto Rico
13.30 Canada v Puerto Rico
16.00 Cuba v Mexico
17.00 Puerto Rico v Mexico
19.00 Canada v Cuba
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016