Olympic Games Countdown - Canada falls in love with volleyball
Lausanne, Switzerland, January 7, 2016 - The volleyball tournament for the 1976 Olympic Games in Montreal was a revelation for the Canadian public. What had been for most an occasional pastime with flexible rules became a passion during the Games.
Japan were just one of the teams Poland defeated as they powered to the gold medal|
As the tournament went on the number of spectators increased, culminating in an attendance of 15,602 to witness Poland take the men’s title and Japan the women’s. On the day of the finals the sound inside Montreal’s Forum was akin to a Canadian international ice hockey match, and the 150,056 spectators who attended the 24 matches represented no less than 92 per cent capacity.
Long to be remembered was the performance of the Polish men who, having beaten Japan in the semifinal in a match lasting 2 hours and 23 minutes, won the gold medal by beating the USSR the following day in a match lasting 2 hours and 26 minutes. Prior to the final the USSR had not dropped a set, while Poland had been taken to five sets in three of their matches.
The pivotal moment came with the Soviets leading by two sets to one and 15-14 in the fourth, just a point from a third Olympic gold medal. But Poland’s star man, Tomasz Wojtowicz, then smashed a long spike from behind the 10-foot line, Poland went on to take the set 19-17 and the match 3-2 (11-15, 15-13, 12-15, 19-17, 15-7). Bursting on to the international stage were Cuba, who took a well deserved bronze medal.
The women’s competition, remarkably, saw Japan and the Soviet Union in the final for the fourth Olympics out of four. Japan had won the inaugural event in Tokyo in 1964 and the USSR had taken the following two. This time, led by Takako Shirai whom many considered the best player in the world, Japan dominated the tournament. Only once did an opponent (South Korea, who took the bronze medal) reach double figures in a set and Japan beat the USSR 3-0 (15-7, 15-8, 15-2) in the final.
This article is one of a series in the run-up to the Rio 2016 Olympic Games as the FIVB looks back at previous Olympic volleyball tournaments.
For week one’s piece on the Tokyo 1964 Olympic Games click here.
For week two’s piece on the Mexico City 1968 Olympic Games click here.
For week three’s piece on the Munich 1972 Olympic Games click here.
- Brazil remain on top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games