Brazil and Bulgaria turn focus on full points to stay on top
The defending champions started off with a straight sets victory over Germany and will look for a stronger finish as they face Tunisia. Germany, on the other hand will face the Cuban squad, while Korea face crowd-drawers Finland in Pool B.
Bulgaria will try to make another winning dash but will be heavily-challenged by the fiery Canadian hitters. China are looking for a calmer situation when they face Mexico, as the Asian team had a cardiac finish in the opener. Meanwhile, Russia will try to race with Bulgaria to get the top spot when they play against Egypt on the third match of the day in Pool C.
• Germany have lost their last four matches in straight sets for the first time in history.
• Germany are trying to avoid matching their losing streak in 2006 of five.
• Cuba have not won any gold medal at the World Championship but have reached the semifinals in four of the last six World Championships.
• Cuba have not lost two consecutive World Championship matches in straight sets since 1982.
• Both teams were defeated in the opener.
• Bulgaria will take part in the World Championship for the 17th time.
• Bulgaria have five medals at the World Championship but have never managed win the gold.
• Canada’s best result in the World Championship is a ninth place in 1994.
• Canada finished the previous edition of the World Championship in 2010 in 19th place.
• Bulgaria are the top leaders in Pool C.
• Finland have seven opening defeats at the World Championship.
• Finland’s last stint at the World Championship was in 1982.
• Korea had a good start at the World Championship with a 3-1 win over Tunisia.
• Korea have won four of their last 15 matches.
• Mexico have lost six of their last seven matches at the World Championship.
• Mexico is under heavy build-up after 28 years of absence in the World Championship.
• China have not missed any edition of the World Championship since 1994.
• China snapped their four-match losing streak at the World Championship with a 3-1 win against Egypt.
• China is currently in third place, while Mexico is in last place in Pool C.
• Brazil have won 26 of their last 30 World Championship matches.
• Brazil only lost two matches at the 2010 World Championship.
• Tunisia best rank is 15th in the World Championship in 2006.
• Tunisia have the highest winning percentage among African countries.
• Tunisia have won five and lost six of their five-set matches at the World Championships.
• Russia have won their last four matches at the World Championships.
• Russia’s latest competition ranking is in fifth place in the FIVB Volleyball World League.
• Egypt have set their best result at 13th place at the World Championship in 2010.
• Egypt have lost their last five World Championship matches.