Brazil and Bulgaria turn focus on full points to stay on top
Katowice and Gdansk, Poland, September 3, 2014 – Brazil and Bulgaria hope to earn the maximum points needed to hold control of their respective Pools on the second day of competition in Pools B and C of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship on Wednesday.
Brazil are intensely focusing on getting through to the next round but would have to play well in matches in Pool B|
The defending champions started off with a straight sets victory over Germany and will look for a stronger finish as they face Tunisia. Germany, on the other hand will face the Cuban squad, while Korea face crowd-drawers Finland in Pool B.
Bulgaria will try to make another winning dash but will be heavily-challenged by the fiery Canadian hitters. China are looking for a calmer situation when they face Mexico, as the Asian team had a cardiac finish in the opener. Meanwhile, Russia will try to race with Bulgaria to get the top spot when they play against Egypt on the third match of the day in Pool C.
• Germany have lost their last four matches in straight sets for the first time in history.
• Germany are trying to avoid matching their losing streak in 2006 of five.
• Cuba have not won any gold medal at the World Championship but have reached the semifinals in four of the last six World Championships.
• Cuba have not lost two consecutive World Championship matches in straight sets since 1982.
• Both teams were defeated in the opener.
• Bulgaria will take part in the World Championship for the 17th time.
• Bulgaria have five medals at the World Championship but have never managed win the gold.
• Canada’s best result in the World Championship is a ninth place in 1994.
• Canada finished the previous edition of the World Championship in 2010 in 19th place.
• Bulgaria are the top leaders in Pool C.
• Finland have seven opening defeats at the World Championship.
• Finland’s last stint at the World Championship was in 1982.
• Korea had a good start at the World Championship with a 3-1 win over Tunisia.
• Korea have won four of their last 15 matches.
• Mexico have lost six of their last seven matches at the World Championship.
• Mexico is under heavy build-up after 28 years of absence in the World Championship.
• China have not missed any edition of the World Championship since 1994.
• China snapped their four-match losing streak at the World Championship with a 3-1 win against Egypt.
• China is currently in third place, while Mexico is in last place in Pool C.
• Brazil have won 26 of their last 30 World Championship matches.
• Brazil only lost two matches at the 2010 World Championship.
• Tunisia best rank is 15th in the World Championship in 2006.
• Tunisia have the highest winning percentage among African countries.
• Tunisia have won five and lost six of their five-set matches at the World Championships.
• Russia have won their last four matches at the World Championships.
• Russia’s latest competition ranking is in fifth place in the FIVB Volleyball World League.
• Egypt have set their best result at 13th place at the World Championship in 2010.
• Egypt have lost their last five World Championship matches.
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro wins battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcomes Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers