Poland and Iran on back-to-back wins for pool leadership
Poland defeated Australia in straight sets, which gets them on course for a third victory on Thursday, September 4. Poland have won three opening matches in their last three World Championship appearances.
Iran have defeated two volleyball powerhouses. On their first match, they defeated Italy in straight sets and then had to undergo a tougher contest with USA as the match ended in five sets. Meanwhile, USA played two five-setters in the competition so far.
• Serbia have three victories in all their meetings at the World Championship.
• Serbia keep their record of never having a campaign start with back-to-back defeats.
• In USA’s two five-setters in the competition, the first one ended with a win, the next one was a defeat.
• Iran have finally recorded a victory against USA in their three encounters in the World Championship.
• Belgium have three victories in five matches with NORCECA sides at a major tournament.
• Puerto Rico are now on a five-match losing streak in the World Championship, this is already have of their longest losing streak of 10 in 1974.
• The 3-1 win was Venezuela’s first in the World Championship since November 2006 when they defeated Iran.
• Cameroon have matched their losing record of four in the World Championship in 1990.
• Poland still have complete command of Australia in major tournaments, they have a 4-0 win-record with the Australians.
• Australia have never won back-to-back matches at the World Championship.
• Italy have won four out of the seven World Championship matches with France.
• France stopped their streak in the last three editions of winning their second match of the World Championship.