Poland and Iran on back-to-back wins for pool leadership
Wroclaw and Krakow, September 2, 2014 – Hosts Poland and Asian powerhouse Iran scored back-to-back victories in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s World Championship, to take solo leadership in Pools A and D, respectively.
Iran picked up its second victory in the 18th edition of the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championship|
Poland defeated Australia in straight sets, which gets them on course for a third victory on Thursday, September 4. Poland have won three opening matches in their last three World Championship appearances.
Iran have defeated two volleyball powerhouses. On their first match, they defeated Italy in straight sets and then had to undergo a tougher contest with USA as the match ended in five sets. Meanwhile, USA played two five-setters in the competition so far.
• Serbia have three victories in all their meetings at the World Championship.
• Serbia keep their record of never having a campaign start with back-to-back defeats.
• In USA’s two five-setters in the competition, the first one ended with a win, the next one was a defeat.
• Iran have finally recorded a victory against USA in their three encounters in the World Championship.
• Belgium have three victories in five matches with NORCECA sides at a major tournament.
• Puerto Rico are now on a five-match losing streak in the World Championship, this is already have of their longest losing streak of 10 in 1974.
• The 3-1 win was Venezuela’s first in the World Championship since November 2006 when they defeated Iran.
• Cameroon have matched their losing record of four in the World Championship in 1990.
• Poland still have complete command of Australia in major tournaments, they have a 4-0 win-record with the Australians.
• Australia have never won back-to-back matches at the World Championship.
• Italy have won four out of the seven World Championship matches with France.
• France stopped their streak in the last three editions of winning their second match of the World Championship.
- Bidding process for 2017 World League Finals launched
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016