China and Japan meet in World Grand Prix "Match of the week" programme
Lausanne, Switzerland, August 15, 2014 - The third FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix “Match of the week” programme will see China (WR 5) take on Japan (WR 3) in Macau on Sunday, at 15.30 local time. The programme is made available to the competition’s host broadcasters and other television channels for free - fans can also log on to FIVB Web TV to watch the match.
China go into the final week of the World Grand Prix preliminary round in third position in Group 1 |
Watch China v Japan live stream
China ended last weekend on three wins with a final Pool F 3-1 (25-20, 25-18, 22-25, 25-16) victory against Italy in Hong Kong. China head coach Lang Ping was pleased with the result: “Italy is a very strong team in Europe. Their attacks and defense are well-rounded. In the previous pool in Italy our attacks were not smart enough. We enhanced our quick attacks in today’s match."
Meanwhile, Japan defeated Thailand in four sets 3-1 (25-18, 25-15, 19-25, 25-20) on Sunday, ending a nine-match losing streak in the competition. After losing against Italy and China earlier in the weekend, Japan captain Saori Kimura was pleased to see her team win the match, even if Thailand caused Japan difficulties in the third set: "We had good rhythm in the beginning, but in the third set, we couldn’t overcome Thailand’s good combination of tactics. It was good to win the game in the end."
China have won their last six World Grand Prix matches in Macau since losing against Italy in the final for 7th-8th place in the 2011 season. Japan, on the other hand, have won only four of 17 matches in total in Macau. Japan, however, are sure to participate in the World Grand Prix Finals in Tokyo as hosts of the tournament. China and Japan have met in 21 World Grand Prix matches, with Japan only winning once - which was during the 2001 edition of the competition (3-0).
English commentary for the World Grand Prix programme will be provided by John Burgess, Dan Strange and Tim Long.
Tim Long, who will be providing commentary for the week three Match of the Week programme, is a fast-rising young commentator, with experience from an early age in an array of sports. He commentates on the English Premier League, UEFA Champions League, and various other football competitions for Manchester United (MUTV), talkSPORT, and BT Sport. He also covers Euroleague and FIBA basketball, and commentated on 10 different sports at the 2013 World Games in Colombia.
The first World Grand Prix "Match of the week" programme focused on the encounter between Turkey and Russia on August 3. This was followed by the second "Match of the week" programme, which saw World Grand Prix title holders and Olympic champions Brazil take on USA on August 10.
Three additional World Grand Prix matches will be shown on FIVB Web TV this weekend. These are:
- Turkey v Germany on Friday at 15.40 CEST
- Italy v Germany on Saturday at 15.40 CEST
- Korea v Serbia on Sunday at 7.00 CEST
The full list of World Grand Prix matches being shown on FIVB Web TV is available here.
Watch the latest videos of FIVB Web TV.
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds
- Paraguay's Michelle/Filippo incredible experience in Apeldoorn
- Juliana and Larissa set up Amsterdam showdown
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Three Dutch men’s teams advance to elimination rounds
- Artacho and Laird out to cause an upset in Amsterdam
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5 - Day 5 As It Happened