Brazil and China sweep third week to stay in top three
Lausanne, Switzerland, August 12, 2014 - Brazil and China won all their matches in FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix week 3 and lead the race for the Final Six as they top Group 1 with Turkey, while other teams are in a tight contest to grab the remaining fourth spot to join Japan and the Group 2 winners in the final round in Tokyo, Japan.
Brazil earned maximum points from their three straight-set victories at the Ginasio do Ibirapuera|
Meanwhile, the Netherlands, Puerto Rico, Poland and Belgium all made the cut for the Group 2 Final Four in Koszalin, Poland.
Group 1 Intercontinental Round action will resume in three cities – Bangkok, Kaliningrad and Macau – in an action-packed fourth week, while the Final Four rounds will unfold for the finalist teams in Groups 2 and 3.
· Brazil earned the maximum points in the first group as they won all three matches in straight sets.
· China bounced back from their two losses in the opening weekend of Group 1, winning all three matches in Hong Kong.
· Russia are on a four-match losing streak, equalling their World Grand Prix record losing streaks in 1996, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
· Korea’s victory over Russia was their fourth against that team in 23 encounters; it was also their third win in this World Grand Prix campaign.
· The Dominican Republic snapped their three-match losing streak to claim their first win this season, beating second-ranked Turkey.
· Germany became the third European and ninth team overall to win at least 200 sets in the World Grand Prix.
· Serbia suffered their fourth back-to-back losing streak in the World Grand Prix.
· Italy’s 3-0 win against Thailand was their second straight-set win in their last 13 World Grand Prix matches.
· Japan ended a nine-match losing streak in the World Grand Prix when they beat Thailand 3-1.
· Thailand have only won six sets so far in this World Grand Prix season.
· Netherlands have recorded six 3-0 wins for the first time in a single World Grand Prix season.
· Belgium have also won six matches by a 3-0 score in their debut season.
· Puerto Rico’s six-match winning streak ended with a 3-0 defeat against Belgium.
· Poland have lost four of their last five matches, including their last three.
The full week 3 statistical review is available here.
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Lupo and Nicolai staying grounded despite Rio silver