Brazil and China sweep third week to stay in top three
Lausanne, Switzerland, August 12, 2014 - Brazil and China won all their matches in FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix week 3 and lead the race for the Final Six as they top Group 1 with Turkey, while other teams are in a tight contest to grab the remaining fourth spot to join Japan and the Group 2 winners in the final round in Tokyo, Japan.
Brazil earned maximum points from their three straight-set victories at the Ginasio do Ibirapuera|
Meanwhile, the Netherlands, Puerto Rico, Poland and Belgium all made the cut for the Group 2 Final Four in Koszalin, Poland.
Group 1 Intercontinental Round action will resume in three cities – Bangkok, Kaliningrad and Macau – in an action-packed fourth week, while the Final Four rounds will unfold for the finalist teams in Groups 2 and 3.
· Brazil earned the maximum points in the first group as they won all three matches in straight sets.
· China bounced back from their two losses in the opening weekend of Group 1, winning all three matches in Hong Kong.
· Russia are on a four-match losing streak, equalling their World Grand Prix record losing streaks in 1996, 2011, 2012 and 2013.
· Korea’s victory over Russia was their fourth against that team in 23 encounters; it was also their third win in this World Grand Prix campaign.
· The Dominican Republic snapped their three-match losing streak to claim their first win this season, beating second-ranked Turkey.
· Germany became the third European and ninth team overall to win at least 200 sets in the World Grand Prix.
· Serbia suffered their fourth back-to-back losing streak in the World Grand Prix.
· Italy’s 3-0 win against Thailand was their second straight-set win in their last 13 World Grand Prix matches.
· Japan ended a nine-match losing streak in the World Grand Prix when they beat Thailand 3-1.
· Thailand have only won six sets so far in this World Grand Prix season.
· Netherlands have recorded six 3-0 wins for the first time in a single World Grand Prix season.
· Belgium have also won six matches by a 3-0 score in their debut season.
· Puerto Rico’s six-match winning streak ended with a 3-0 defeat against Belgium.
· Poland have lost four of their last five matches, including their last three.
The full week 3 statistical review is available here.
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Introducing Round 2: Russia, USA, Turkey and Bulgaria seek a pass to the Final Six
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Ten unbeaten women’s teams Wednesday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Five huge surprises in men’s pool play FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam Wednesday
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2
- No second day shocks for tournament favourites
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 2 - As It Happened