Brazil and USA meet in "Match of the week" programme
Lausanne, Switzerland, August 8, 2014 – The second World Grand Prix “Match of the week” programme will see title holders and Olympic champions Brazil (WR 1) take on the United States (WR 2) at 10.00 local time in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on Sunday. The purpose of the programme, which is made available to the competition’s host broadcasters and other television channels for free, is to bring the sport to as wide an audience as possible.
Brazil were one of two teams to win their first three matches in this year's edition of the World Grand Prix|
Watch on FIVB
Web TV Brazil won their first three matches in this year’s edition of the World Grand Prix, and will hope to build on that winning streak this weekend in front of their supporters at the Ginasio do Ibirapuera in Sao Paulo. Brazil coach Ze Roberto commented that: “I’m positive about the result of this first round of the World Grand Prix. Pool C was not an easy one at all and losing even a single match could make a difference for the Final Round. Leaving the first round with nine points made me more than happy.” Coach Charles ‘Karch’ Kiraly’s USA travel to Sao Paulo to battle with Russia, Korea and hosts Brazil in Pool D after only one win from three matches in Pool A in Ankara, Turkey, last weekend.
English commentary for the World Grand Prix programme will be provided by John Burgess, Dan Strange and Tim Long.
Dan Strange, commentator for week 2, is an experienced sports presenter and commentator equally at home in front of the camera or behind the microphone. He has worked on numerous top events and competitions in both able-bodied and disability sport, for television, radio and live in the stadium.
Tim Long, who will be providing commentary for the week three Match of the Week programme, which will focus on the Pool I encounter between China (WR 5) and Japan (WR 3) on August 17, is a fast-rising young commentator, with experience from an early age in an array of sports. He commentates on the English Premier League, UEFA Champions League, and various other football competitions for Manchester United (MUTV), talkSPORT, and BT Sport. He also covers Euroleague and FIBA basketball, and commentated on 10 different sports at the 2013 World Games in Colombia.
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Lupo and Nicolai staying grounded despite Rio silver
- Schedule set as World Tour Finals countdown enters final week
- A month after opening, Brazil still bask in Rio 2016 gold glory
- Relive Egypt's Olympic beach volleyball debut
- One month after first serve, memories of Rio still stay strong
- Reminiscing Rio and the delights of Copacabana