First time finalists from Brazil and Ukraine in boy’s U19 gold medal match
Porto, Portugal, August 3, 2014 - Brazil’s Arthur Diego Mariano Lanci and George Wanderley Souto Maior reached the final of the FIVB U19 World Championships in only their first FIVB event. Their opponents, Ukraine’s Illia Kovalov and Oleh Plotnytskyi, played in an age group event before, but never reached a final so far.
Ukraine's Illia Kovalov (left) and Oleh Plotnytskyi reached the U19 final|
Arthur and George Wanderley defeated Venezuela’s Tigrito Gomez and Peter Hernandez 2-0 (21-18, 21-18) in a very entertaining semifinal with great rallies. It was point-by-point towards the end of both sets, but the Brazilians proved to be the more focussed team in closing the sets.
“We couldn’t be happier, because this is our first time”, said 17-year old George Wanderley. “And now the girls are in the final too. That’s great of course. It’s such an important day for our country and for us. To have two podium places today makes us so proud.”
The win over the strong Venezuela team gave them a lot of confidence for the final, said Arthur. “It will be a tough game”, added George Wanderley. “But we will try our best to win because that’s want we want most.”
Ukraine defeats the Netherlands
Kovalov and Plotsnytskyi eased to victory (21-19, 21-15) in their semifinal against new team Jasper Bouter and Tom van Steenis from the Netherlands.
The Ukrainians, who played last week at the U23 in Cyprus, proved to be the more experienced team. Bouter and Van Steenis only came close at the end of the first set.
In the second Kovalov and Plotsnytskyi took an early four point lead and with three blocks in a row towards the end of the game Kovalov secured a spot in the final.
“It’s amazing for us. We can’t describe it, because it’s very emotional”, Plotsnytskyi said.
Throughout the whole tournament the Ukrainians only lost one set, to Bulgaria. “But every match for us was hard, because it was very straining mentally”, Plotsnytskyi said.
“Especially this semifinal and the quarterfinal yesterday were very emotional games. But our coach gave us some directions and we tried to make the best of it.”
Kovalov competed at the U19 last year with a different partner, but did not get through qualification. Last week he and Plostnytskyi played their first event together at the U21 World Championships in Cyprus and finished 9th.
Plotsnytskyi: “It was a really great preparation, to grow and to play other countries. Now we will do our best and even more than that to win the gold medal here.”
It is only the second time in 13 years Ukraine reached the final of the U19 in both boy’s and girl’s competition. The only other time was in 2009 in Antalya when Popov and Samoday won the gold. Ukraine did win another U19 medal, bronze in 2007 in Myslowice.
Brazil advanced two teams to the boy’s U19 final before. In 2002 Borges/Salgado won gold and silver a year later. Brazil and Ukraine have never met in an U19 final before.
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament