First time finalists from Brazil and Ukraine in boy’s U19 gold medal match
Porto, Portugal, August 3, 2014 - Brazil’s Arthur Diego Mariano Lanci and George Wanderley Souto Maior reached the final of the FIVB U19 World Championships in only their first FIVB event. Their opponents, Ukraine’s Illia Kovalov and Oleh Plotnytskyi, played in an age group event before, but never reached a final so far.
Ukraine's Illia Kovalov (left) and Oleh Plotnytskyi reached the U19 final|
Arthur and George Wanderley defeated Venezuela’s Tigrito Gomez and Peter Hernandez 2-0 (21-18, 21-18) in a very entertaining semifinal with great rallies. It was point-by-point towards the end of both sets, but the Brazilians proved to be the more focussed team in closing the sets.
“We couldn’t be happier, because this is our first time”, said 17-year old George Wanderley. “And now the girls are in the final too. That’s great of course. It’s such an important day for our country and for us. To have two podium places today makes us so proud.”
The win over the strong Venezuela team gave them a lot of confidence for the final, said Arthur. “It will be a tough game”, added George Wanderley. “But we will try our best to win because that’s want we want most.”
Ukraine defeats the Netherlands
Kovalov and Plotsnytskyi eased to victory (21-19, 21-15) in their semifinal against new team Jasper Bouter and Tom van Steenis from the Netherlands.
The Ukrainians, who played last week at the U23 in Cyprus, proved to be the more experienced team. Bouter and Van Steenis only came close at the end of the first set.
In the second Kovalov and Plotsnytskyi took an early four point lead and with three blocks in a row towards the end of the game Kovalov secured a spot in the final.
“It’s amazing for us. We can’t describe it, because it’s very emotional”, Plotsnytskyi said.
Throughout the whole tournament the Ukrainians only lost one set, to Bulgaria. “But every match for us was hard, because it was very straining mentally”, Plotsnytskyi said.
“Especially this semifinal and the quarterfinal yesterday were very emotional games. But our coach gave us some directions and we tried to make the best of it.”
Kovalov competed at the U19 last year with a different partner, but did not get through qualification. Last week he and Plostnytskyi played their first event together at the U21 World Championships in Cyprus and finished 9th.
Plotsnytskyi: “It was a really great preparation, to grow and to play other countries. Now we will do our best and even more than that to win the gold medal here.”
It is only the second time in 13 years Ukraine reached the final of the U19 in both boy’s and girl’s competition. The only other time was in 2009 in Antalya when Popov and Samoday won the gold. Ukraine did win another U19 medal, bronze in 2007 in Myslowice.
Brazil advanced two teams to the boy’s U19 final before. In 2002 Borges/Salgado won gold and silver a year later. Brazil and Ukraine have never met in an U19 final before.
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 - LIVE - Day 5
- Fernanda’s “Special” Beach Volleyball Moment
- FIVB welcomes IOC President Thomas Bach
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championship 2015 Day 4 - As It Happened
- Adoring Apeldoorn audiences always agreeing with spectacular play
- Parental support still vital at World Champs
- Sude and Laboureur upset seedings in Amsterdam to top pool
- Ageless Hyden & Youthful Bourne Post American Success in The Hague
- Candelas/Rios impressed by Mexican support
- Stoyanovskiy and Yarzutkin enjoying first World Champs
- Olympic qualification adds extra buzz to World Champs
- Rave reunion for Latvian Olympians Samoilovs/Plavins in Apeldoorn
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 3: Peru enjoys perfect opening weekend, Kazakhstan also three-from-three
- FIVB Volleyball World League week 7: Atanasijevic hammers Serbia to five-set win against Italy, Poland win in Tehran on day 22
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 4
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 3
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 As It Happened - Day 3
- Amiable Apeldoorn audiences amazingly attentive again on Sunday
- Alfaro/Cope bring Costa Rica to FIVB World Champs
- Wildcard winners Vismans and Keemink overwhelmed after opening match
- Russian derby sets Ukolova and Birlova on way
- Ghana pair toast of Amsterdam after facing down legends
- Peru go 2-0 on Day 2 of World Grand Prix; Kenya fight back to beat Mexico
- Brazil, USA, Netherlands and Belgium win on road in World League
- VIDEO: President Graça shows how to #VolleyballYourWay
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 2
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day 2 - As It Happened
- Cubans Post Opening FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championship Win
- Shimizu, Ishikawa nearly help Japan upset France
- Tranquil Apeldoorn turns heat on for Saturday’s opening day action
- Beach volleyball world record set in The Hague
- Comfortable start for big names in Amsterdam
- Schuil already enjoying ‘perfect atmosphere’
- Spanish pair find confidence soaring after breakthrough gold
- Leading ladies pushed hard in opener
- Cuba, Kazakhstan, Peru and Colombia celebrate opening day with wins in World Grand Prix
- Czech Republic, Iran, Serbia and Argentina produce home victories on Day 20
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 1
- World Championships gets royal seal of approval
- FIVB World League Week 7 - As It Happened
- Dutch Net Two Opening FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championship wins
- Video: Former and current players celebrate 15th year anniversary of Serbia's Olympic gold medal triumph
- Congratulations to you, the players - President Graça
- No ticket? No problem! Follow the action live online!
- Media Guide released for exciting FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix
- First serve today
- Apeldoorn anticipates huge battles on Saturday
- Brazilian quartet out to start latest gold run in Amsterdam
- Stunning architecture, beautiful boats and world champs set for Rotterdam
- Holubec thanks fans for their support