Brazil’s Eduarda on track for another medal in Porto
Porto, Portugal, August 2, 2014 – Brazil’s Eduarda Santos Lisboa is right on track for another medal at the FIVB U19 World Championships in Porto. With Andressa Cavalcanti Ramalho at her side she defeated Russia’s Mastikova/Novikova 2-1 (18-21, 21-11, 17-15) in the second round on Friday and later on overpowered Swiss team Rohrer/Gerson 2-0 (21-11, 21-9) to claim a spot in the semifinals.
Brazil's Andressa (left) and Eduarda aim for a medal in Porto|
“Yes, we are one step closer to our goal”, said 16-year old Eduarda. “The next step is the semifinal and if god is willing we will be able to go to the finals. We are betting everything on that.”
Eduarda made her debut last year winning silver at the U23 with Thais Rodrigues en gold in Porto with Taina Silva Bigi. This year did not bring a medal yet. Andressa finished 5th last year in Porto with Paula Hoffmann.
Though one of the medal favourites the Brazilian girls don’t take anything for granted. “All games have their difficulty and especially in this stage of the competition where it’s an elimination game we have to stay even more focused”, said Eduarda.
“But this game (against Switzerland) was great and let’s go for another one, we did our best and we will continue to do so, and we are very happy.”
First final four for Czech Republic
In the semifinal Brazil plays Czech team Kristyna Adamcikova and Katerina Valkova. In only their first FIVB age group event the Czech girls reached the semifinals by defeating Paraguay’s Michelle/Erika (21-14, 21-12) and Austria’s Gesslbauer/Radl (21-18, 24-22).
“It’s incredible, I just can’t believe it”, said 17-year old Adamcikova. ”We dreamed about this and now we are living it”, added Valkova.
The Czech girls had a tough time closing the second set in their last match against Austria. They had to ward off two Austrian set points, and finally at their second match point Adamcikova served an ace to claim victory.
“We made a lot of mistakes”, said Adamcikova about the second set. Valkova: “It was our mistakes only, but in the end we were lucky and that’s good. Now we will try to do our best in the semifinal and celebrate and enjoy every point.”
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win
- Olympic anniversary celebrated with Legends match