Brazil’s Arthur and George Wanderley love the art of beach volleyball
Porto, Portugal, July 31, 2014 – Brazil’s Arthur Diego Mariano Lanci and George Wanderley Souto Maior took a firm lead on Thursday in pool B at the FIVB U19 World Championships.
Brazil's George Wanderley (left) and Arthur take pride in scoring beautiful points|
The South-Americans defeated Austria’s Kratz/Pristauz-Telsnigg (21-15, 21-18) and Germany’s top team Rudolf/Stadie (23-21, 21-17) on Thursday and have not lost one set in four games.
Their match against Germany proved to be the toughest so far. It was point-by-point in the first set and the Brazilians needed three set points to win it. The second was a bit easier.
“It was a tough match, but we managed to win it”, George Wanderley said. “Germany also won the other three games, we won the fourth now. In our minds it was the leader of the group match, whoever would win, would be the leader. But we still have Mexico to win.”
Mexico could keep them from finishing first in the final pool match. “We are still in the group, we have to win every match, every set”, George Wanderley said. “Play hard every game.”
During the match against Germany both players took pride in scoring one beautiful shot after the other. They both like to put on a show, practice ‘the art of beach volleyball’, said George Wanderley.
“Yes, because I think that is what beach volleyball is, it’s kind of a show for who is watching and it’s a game that we enjoy playing, so we play with happiness and every point we try to score in a beautiful way.”
Being Brazilian and one of the greatest beach volleyball nations brings that responsibility, but also expectations, he said.
“More or less, we try to not think about the pressure. We only try to play our best volleyball. Whether we win or lose really doesn’t matter, the only thing that matters for us is to play our best on the court.”
- Women’s Qualifier Opens Gstaad Major
- Egypt celebrates major triumph for African volleyball
- 360° images recreate finals magic
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event