Venezuela takes early pool lead at the U19 World Championships
Porto, Portugal, July 30, 2014 - In a tough pool with teams from strongholds USA and Brazil, Venezuela’s Jose Gregorio Gomez and Rolando Hernandez boldly took the lead on the first day of main draw at the FIVB U19 World Championships.
Venezuela's Jose Gregorio Gomez is out to better his 5th place|
‘Tigrito’ and ‘Peter’, as they call themselves, booked two straight wins over Peru’s Bramont/Arias-Heredia (21-9, 21-7) and home team Bernardo/Leite (21-10, 22-20).
“Things are turning out good for us so far”, said Tigrito. “From tactics to technical aspects. And thankfully we have been able to resolve the games in the best way for us.”
The 18-year old defence player finished 5th last year with Ronald Fayola. His new partner Peter is experiencing his first international beach volleyball tournament.
“We have been working together for a while now and my previous partner is too old for this championship now”, said Tigrito. “Now I’m here with him and we are preparing the Youth Olympic Games as well.”
“I am truly very thankful for this opportunity and so far, it has been a very good tournament”, Peter added.
“There are so many strong teams but we have been working hard and we do what we can to get the far as possible. We really want to improve the fifth place that my partner achieved last year and hopefully to reach the finals.”
In the same pool last year’s bronze medallist Torey DeFalco and his partner Louis Richard from the USA started the first day of main draw with a 2-0 (21-14, 21-19) loss against Brazilian qualifiers Gabriel Mussi Fichter and Jonas Paixao Fidelis.
“We played as hard as we could, but they are a great team. That’s what happened”, said DeFalco.
They did not hit level yet, said Richard. “We basically need to get used to each other, me getting a feel for him, he getting a feel for me. Once that happens I think we will be in pretty good shape.”
“It’s been about four months since we played together”, DeFalco explained. “We only got to train like a week before this. We had to come from pretty much nothing and try to get everything going.”
In their second match against Peru’s Bramont/Arias-Heredia things went smoother (21-16, 21-17). It was point-by-point in the beginning of each set, but halfway through the Americans took a deciding lead.
While DeFalco grabbed the bronze with Yoder last year at the U19, Richard did not get past qualification. “But it still was fun being able to support them and the rest of our team. It was still a good experience.”
According to DeFalco the level of the teams is as high as last year, if not higher. “There is new guys coming through the system. Guys we haven’t seen before, so it’s going to be a whole new game this year. I am really excited to start playing.”
Regarding the podium Richard said: “I think we have a good shot at it as long as we stick to our system and worry about us, and focus on our side of the court. We should be able to put in a good spot.”
Brazil’s Gabriel and Jonas won their second match, but gave away one set to Latvia’s Pavels/Kliemans (21-18, 16-21, 15-11), so Venezuela ended up on top.
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win
- Olympic anniversary celebrated with Legends match