Statistical preview: Brazil begin quest for tenth World Grand Prix title
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 30, 2014 - Defending champions Brazil will start their campaign to win a tenth FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix title, while eleven other teams begin play in Intercontinental Round Group 1.
Brazilian middle blocker Fabiana Claudino leads her team as captain for the fifth time in the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix|
Meanwhile, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic will try to retain top spots in Groups 2 and Group 3 respectively, as the second week clashes continue.
· The 2014 World Grand Prix is in full swing as all three groups play this weekend.
· Defending champions Brazil are the most successful team in the World Grand Prix with nine title victories; they have set the longest straight-set winning streak in team history in their last nine matches.
· Fabiana Claudino will serve as captain of the Brazilian team for the fifth time.
· Japan and China are the only countries who have participated in every single World Grand Prix since 1993, making it their 22nd appearance in the tournament.
· Three-time World Grand Prix winners Russia have won 12 of their last 14 opening matches.
· Turkey have a 100 per cent opening matches win-record; their best result came in 2012 when they finished in third place.
· USA have won the World Grand Prix five times, including a hat-trick of victories from 2010-2012.
· Germany have won only two of their previous 14 opening matches – one win against USA in 2009 and another win against Kazakhstan in 2013.
· Korea have won only seven of their 16 opening matches, but have won only one opening match in their last six participations.
· Serbia were the highest ranked team in a debut season when they had their best result in the World Prix at third place; they achieved another third place finish in 2013.
· Thailand will make their 12th appearance in the World Grand Prix since 2002, only missing the 2007 edition.
· China have finished in the top five in all World Grand Prix editions except in 2011 when they finished in eighth place.
· The Dominican Republic had their most successful year in the World Grand Prix in 2013, when they won six of their nine matches.
· Italy will make their 16th appearance in the World Grand Prix and are looking to improve their silver medal finishes in 2004 and 2005.
· Argentina recorded their fifth win in 30 World Grand Prix outings when they defeated Cuba last week.
· Belgium lost their debut match in four sets but recovered with back-to-back straight sets victories.
· Canada are one of the three teams searching for their first World Grand Prix victory, the other two are Algeria and Australia.
· Netherlands have won all three matches and are the only team to close out the opening 2014 World Grand prix weekend without losing a single set.
· Cuba are now on a 17-match losing streak in the World Grand Prix, their longest in team history.
· Peru can win two matches in one edition of the World Grand Prix for the first time.
· Poland won all of their matches in the opening weekend for the second time in their 11 participations, led by Katarzyna Zarolinska, who is the top scorer of the competition with 64 points so far.
· Puerto Rico need one more victory to win three matches in one World Grand Prix edition for the first time.
· Mexico and Kazakhstan registered similar results in the first week of Group 3 play – both won once in straight sets and lost in four sets.
· The Czech Republic recorded their first ever three-match victories, while Algeria won their first ever sets and their first point in the World Grand Prix.
· Bulgaria are the only Pool S team with three victories, while Australia are the only team left without a set won in the competition.
· Croatia and Kenya are in their debut season in the World Grand Prix and each of them collected two victories in the first weekend.
Click here for more information.
- Brazil remain on top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games