Eight qualifiers and six lucky losers into U19 World Championships main draw
Porto, Portugal, July 29, 2014 - Eight winning teams from qualification and six lucky losers from eleven different countries were added to the main draw of the FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships in Porto on Tuesday.
· In the boy’s competition Lysikowski/Jetke (POL), Gabriel/Jonas (BRA), Thole/Göbert (GER) and Guehres/Hunt (AUS) qualified as winners.
· Lithuania and Portugal were added as lucky losers. The Netherlands is reserve.
· In the girl’s competition Hoffmann/Ana Patricia (BRA), Mastikova/Novikova (RUS), Welsch/Bieneck (GER) and Shalayeuskay/Siakretava (BLR) qualified as winners.
· Italy, Turkey, Poland and Norway were added as lucky losers. Israel is reserve.
· Main draw consists of 6 pools for each gender with 6 teams per pool, playing round robin. The top four teams qualify for the elimination phase.
Australia’s Guehrer and Hunter take first stepping-stone at U19
Max Guehrer and John Hunt
took their first stepping-stone at the FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World
Championships in Porto on Tuesday. The Australians won both matches in
qualification and were one of four teams to advance to main draw.
Welsch/Bieneck into U19 main draw with a little help from ‘big sis’ Victoria
Leonie Welsch and Constanze
Bieneck made it into the main draw of the FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World
Championships in Porto on Tuesday. The German team won both qualification
matches against Norway’s Sorbo/Thelle (21-8, 21-17) and Turkey’s
Cetin/Yurtsever (21-16, 21-13).
A total of 72 teams from all five continents will be playing in the main draw in Porto. Matches start at 9.00 on Wednesday. The elimination phase starts on Friday. The semifinals and medal matches are scheduled for Sunday.
Porto is hosting the FIVB U19 World Championships for the third time, following the 2010 and 2013 edition. The 13th edition of the U19 World Championships is the fourth and final event on the 2014 FIVB age group calendar.