Australia’s Guehrer and Hunter take first stepping-stone at U19
Porto, Portugal, July 29, 2014 – Max Guehrer and John Hunt took their first stepping-stone at the FIVB Beach Volleyball U19 World Championships in Porto on Tuesday. The Australians won both matches in qualification and were one of four teams to advance to main draw.
Australia's John Hunt (left) and Max Guehrer and their coach|
Guehrer (17) and Hunt (19) started with a tough game against home team Rocha/Santiago (23-21, 16-21, 15-10) and defeated Lithuania’s Barauskis/Bartkus 2-0 (21-17, 21-13) in the afternoon.
“We set some goals and this is just one step”, said Hunt about making it to the main draw. “We are really happy to have taken it and we are really looking forward to it.”
For Hunt the U19’s are his first FIVB event. Guehrer finished 33rd last year with Benjamin Lane and also competed at the U21 last week in Larnaka with another partner, but did not make it to main draw there.
“So it was really good to get this win”, Guehrer said. “Especially with the family coming over as well. We are really looking forward to some tough competition cause this is not the last step, we want to keep going, so it’s a great stepping stone.”
The Australians live in different parts of the country and did not have a lot of time to get used to each other. “We had very little training over the last four weeks with each other since I was preparing with my partner for the U21’s”, said Guehrer.
“But we are pretty good mates. Before we left to come over to Europe, John came over and stayed at my place for a week”, he continued.
Hunt: “We had some trainings together there, so that definitely helped. And now we just keep getting better every game. We keep talking, keep celebrating everything, loving it being out there. Really fun. Can’t wait for it.”
Germany also adds a second team to main draw
Germany’s Julius Thole and Felix Göbert booked two straight wins to advance to main draw. The two 17-year olds defeated Ukraine’s Denysenko/Kravets (24-22, 21-17) and Norway’s Sorum/Olimstad (21-14, 21-13).
Göbert has some international experience, he finished 4th at the U18 last year with one of Germany’s main draw players Eric Stadie, but for Thole Porto is his first event.
In their final match against Norway the Germans were leading from start till end in both sets. “This one was a little easier”, said Thole. “But the first one against Ukraine, especially the first set was a bit difficult.”
About their goal in this tournament he said: “We don’t want to look too far ahead, we just want to play one game at a time. Then we will see how long we get to play.”
Also qualifying for main draw were Mateusz Lysikowski and Jakub Jetke with two wins over Austria’s Skrabal/Friedl (21-15, 21-19) and Dutch pair Bouter/Van Steenis (24-22, 21-12).
Brazil’s Gabriel Mussi Fichter and Jonas Paixao Fidelis made it to the main draw with wins over Turkey’s Onder/Zorluer (21-8, 21-11) and Portugal’s Bernardo/Leite (21-13, 21-18).
- Brazil remain on top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games