World Grand Prix 'Match of the week' programme focuses on Turkey-Russia
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 31, 2014 – Volleyball fans are in for a treat when Turkey take on Russia in the first of three FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix “Match of the week” programmes at 19.00 local time on August 3.
The first 'Match of the week' programme focuses on Turkey's World Grand Prix Pool A encounter with women's world champions Russia |
The “Match of the week” programme is made available to
the World Grand Prix’s host broadcasters as well as to other TV
channels for free, with the aim of spreading volleyball into regions where the
sport has the potential to grow. The match will take place at the Baskent Volleyball Hall in Ankara, Turkey, where the hosts will take on women’s world champions Russia (World Rank No. 6).
The second “Match of the week” programme will see World Grand Prix title holders and Olympic champions Brazil (WR 1) take on USA (WR 2). The match will take place on August 10 at 10.00 local time at the Ginasio do Ibirapuera in Sao Paulo, Brazil. This will be followed by the third programme in the series, which will focus on the match between China (WR 5) and Japan (WR 3). The Pool I match will take place at 15.30 local time on August 17 at the Macau Forum in Macau.
English commentary for the World Grand Prix programme will be provided by John Burgess, Dan Strange and Tim Long.
John Burgess, who will provide the commentary for the first match of the week programme, has 30 years of experience as an English television sports commentator. He has commentated for the Olympic Broadcast Services and worked with the FIVB on World League, World Championship and World Grand Prix events for the last 10 years.
Dan Strange, commentator for week 2, is an experienced sports presenter and commentator equally at home in front of the camera or behind the microphone. He has worked on numerous top events and competitions in both able-bodied and disability sport, for television, radio and live in the stadium.
Tim Long, who will be providing commentary for the week three match, is a fast-rising young commentator, with experience from an early age in an array of sports. He commentates on the English Premier League, UEFA Champions League, and various other football competitions for Manchester United (MUTV), talkSPORT, and BT Sport. He also covers Euroleague and FIBA basketball, and commentated on 10 different sports at the 2013 World Games in Colombia.
- President Graça: "FIVB World Congress an opportunity to reflect, celebrate and look ahead"
- Josh Binstock comes full circle in Toronto ahead of retirement
- Rio 2016 Volleyball House legacy starting to be felt
- Japan to host its first-ever FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship in Kobe
- 35th FIVB Congress to open in period of unprecedented growth for volleyball
- Eczacibasi celebrate golden anniversary ahead of Club Worlds
- Official FIVB World Congress website now open
- Buenos Aires to welcome Volleyball Your Way festival
- Preparations in full swing at PSL Manila
- Galaxy of Olympic stars in 2016-17 Brazil Superleagues
- Brilliant Barbara, Fabulous Fernanda newest Brazilian beach duo
- Olympic champs Ludwig and Walkenhorst aiming for new heights
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- 2017 World League Finals bidding process launched
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 World Grand Prix Group 2
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised