Poland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Bulgaria assume early pool leadership in World Grand Prix
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 28, 2014 – Poland, the Netherlands, the Czech Republic and Bulgaria topped the standings in Groups 2 and 3 after the first weekend of play in the 2014 FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix.
A view of the Coliseo Dibós, which hosted World Grand Prix Pool J|
The four teams bested their opponents with a sweep of their individual pools, with the Netherlands and the Czech Republic emerging as the top teams in the group standings.
· All pool leaders on the first week are from Europe.
· Belgian attacker Lise Van Hecke charted 24 points in her debut, 17 points more than any of her team-mates.
· Peru recorded their second win out of 21 matches in the World Grand Prix in their 3-1 defeat of Canada.
· Canada are still winless in the World Grand Prix.
· The Netherlands are the only team who have finished the first week without dropping a set.
· Puerto Rico recorded two consecutive World Grand Prix victories – one against Germany in the previous season and in the opening match against Argentina.
· Argentina snapped a seven-match losing streak by defeating former champions Cuba 3-1.
· Cuba are on their longest losing streak with 17 losses, including the last three matches this season.
· The Czech Republic won all their matches on the opening weekend, they had never managed to win two times in a row before.
· The Czech Republic and Croatia's first set went to 32-30, the most points in an opening set in World Grand Prix history; Croatia eventually lost the match – their first ever defeat against Czech Republic.
· Kazakhstan won their first ever opening match in the World Grand Prix after losing their previous four opening matches.
· Australia marked their debut with three straight-set defeats.
· There were only two five-set matches in the weekend, Bulgaria played and won both these matches.
· The Kenyan victory over Mexico marked the first ever African win in the World Grand Prix; they doubled it on the last day when they defeated neighbours Algeria.
· Algeria won their first ever sets in the World Grand Prix against Bulgaria on opening day.
- Sada Cruzeiro and Minas Tênis Clube to host 2016 edition of Men's Club World Championship
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016