World League's top four USA, Brazil, Italy and Iran contribute to Dream Team
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 24, 2014 – USA outside hitter Taylor Sander topped the statistical charts to receive the highest individual honour in the FIVB Volleyball World League Dream Team – the Most Valuable Player Award.
Individual awards went to Wallace de Souza, Mir Saied Marouflakrani, Salvatore Rossini, Lucas Saatkamp, David Lee, Ricardo Lucarelli and Taylor Sander (from left to right)|
California native Sander made an impressive debut in the World League, playing a consistent and solid game throughout the tournament. He led the United States to its second title in the World League, worthy of earning him Best Outside Hitter and MVP awards. Like Sander, young Brazilian Ricardo Lucarelli overwhelmed his opponents with his dexterity from the left flank to take the second Best Outside Hitter award.
The high-flying Wallace de Souza also showed that he is near unstoppable. He has featured in many Brazilian triumphs in recent years and picked up the Best Opposite award. Iranian captain and playmaker Mir Saied Marouflakrani was chosen as the Best Setter. Marouflakrani steered his team to a top four finish in the World League – making Iran the most successful Asian nation in the competition.
The United States’ David Lee and Brazilian tower Lucas Saatkamp were the tournament's Best Middle Blockers. Both players displayed great strength at the net, disabling their opponents' efforts in offense but also scoring at crucial moments. The Best Libero award went to Italian Salvatore Rossini, who chased for every ball, making Dragan Travica’s setter role that much easier with his excellent passing and digging.
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Lupo and Nicolai staying grounded despite Rio silver
- Schedule set as World Tour Finals countdown enters final week
- A month after opening, Brazil still bask in Rio 2016 gold glory