Stats preview: Iran take first ever meeting with USA; Brazil aim to continue semifinal winning streak
Switzerland, July 19, 2014 – Iran and USA will test their mettle against each
other when they meet for the first time, while Brazil play hosts Italy and aim
to maintain their record of wins as they have in their last four semifinal
appearances in the FIVB Volleyball World League in 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013.
- Iran will be seeking the scalp of a fifth former World League champion, after having beaten Italy, Brazil, Cuba and Poland at least once before.
- Iran have won four of six against World League opponents form the Americas.
- Iran are the first Asian team to finish in the top four of the World League.
- Iran are by far the least experienced team in the semifinal with just 24 matches under their belt, and the only team without any World League silverware.
- USA have won 15 of their last 16 World League meetings with opponents from Asia.
- USA could reach the final of the World League for the third time in history.
- USA won their last semifinal in 2012 by defeating Cuba 3-0.
- After starting with seven consecutive wins, USA have lost four of their last seven matches.
- Italy and Brazil will set their 29th World League meeting; both teams have equal 14 wins from the previous 28 encounters.
- Italy and Brazil have a tied win record of 2-2 in their four encounters this season, where each team won both away matches.
- Brazil have advantage over Italy, winning six of their last eight World League meetings.
- Italy have reached the final four for the 17th time and for the second year in a row.
- Italy have secured a top four finish in back-to-back seasons.
- Italy have reached the World League final 11 times.
- Brazil have the most top four finishes in the World League with 19, they also have the most appearances in the finals with 13.
- Brazil are seeking their first World League championship since 2010.