Talking Stats: Iran guarantee top four finish for the first time; Italy keep clean win-record
Lausanne, Switzerland, July 18, 2014 – Iran
reached greater heights with a 3-1 upset over nine-time winners Brazil,
becoming the first Asian team to be guaranteed of a top four finish in the FIVB
Volleyball and eliminating defending champions Russia in the process. Meanwhile,
Italy remained as the only team without any defeats after the Round Robin phase
of the Final Round.
- Iran stunned Brazil in four sets to secure semifinal spot in the Final Six.
- In the Round Robin phase, Iran faced the top two finishers last season – Russia and Brazil.
- Iran will be the first Asian team to finish in the top four of the World League.
- On their second season, Iran leaped high in the rankings from ninth place on their debut season to a guaranteed top four finish.
- The Iranian team victory sealed the fate of titleholders Russia, who finished bottom in Pool I.
- Iran snapped a three-match losing streak.
- Italy have yet to drop a set in the Final Six.
- Italy and Brazil face each other in the semifinals; they have won 17 of the 24 previous World Leauge titles between them.
- Brazil are the only squad that has beaten Italy in Italy in this current season, with a pair of 3-1 wins earlier this month.
- Australian finished sixth out of 28 teams; they finished 10th out of 12 teams in 1999.
- Italy finished third last season; they have not won medals in back-to-back seasons since the World League 2003 and 2004.