Brazil claim gold medal at South American Youth Championship
Tarapoto, Peru, July 8, 2014 – Brazil, Argentina and Peru reached the podium of the five-day 19th South American Youth Championship at the Coliseo Bicentenario Morales on Sunday.
Top podium finishers Brazil, Argentina and Peru pose together at the closing ceremony of the 19th South American Youth Championship|
The three teams also claimed qualification tickets to the 2015 FIVB Volleyball U18 World Championship as an ultimate reward after their strong podium finishes.
Brazil beat hosts Peru in straight sets 3-0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-22), limiting their unforced errors to only 17 against the hosts' 27. Brazil were led by Beatriz Carvalho and Pietra Silva with 19 and 10 points respectively. The home team's Katherine Regalado and Nicole Abreu scored 13 points each in the losing effort.
Coach Luizomar Moura celebrated the victory as he earned the 20th championship of his career as Brazil coach.
"We had a very difficult challenge because of the pressure from Peruvian supporters," Luizomar said. "This is a very valuable victory for us."
Brazilian captain Pietra, who earned championships in other age groups, overcame fear to help her team win another championship.
"This is the second time I gained this championship in the youth level because last year I won in the junior category," Pietra said. "We were very nervous in the early going as the pressure form the supporters of Peru grew high. We conquered it and now we are moving forward to prepare for the Youth World Championship."
Argentina prevailed in their five-set match against Colombia 3-2 (22-25, 22-25, 25-12, 25-14, 15-5) to claim the silver medal.
During the awards ceremony, Mr Rafael Lloreda, President of the South American Volleyball Confederation, expressed his joy at the positive development of the championship.
"This sports festival demonstrates the high level of play that South Americans have," Lloreda said. "I am proud of the results and I congratulate Brazil, Argentina and Peru, who will show the way South Americans play volleyball at the world level."
Chile v Uruguay 3-0 (25-15, 25-14, 25-21)
Argentina v Colombia 3-2 (22-25, 22-25, 25-12, 25-14, 15-5)
Brazil v Peru 3-0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-22)
Best Outside Hitter: Adriana Durian (Colombia)
2nd Best Outside Hitter: Anahi Tosi (Argentina)
Best Middle Blocker: Candelaria Herrera (Argentina)
2nd Best Middle Blocker: Paula Maria Caraballo (Colombia)
Best Opposite: Katherine Regalado (Peru)
Best Setter: Amanda Sehn (Brazil)
Best Libero: Valentina Gonzalez (Argentina)
Most Valuable Player: Beatriz Carvalho (Brazil)
- The Fan Zone - SWATCH Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 6
- FIVB World Tour 2016 starts in Mexico with FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals
- Brazilian Beach Clinic
- Brazil record 30th title win in South American Championship
- Talita & Larissa net gold medal & “richest” prize
- Russian claim back-to-back European titles to cement status as Europe's Volleyball Queens
- Evandro & Pedro rebound for bronze medal finish
- Track stars become Beach Volleyball fans
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 4
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight
- Puerto Rican Aury Cruz ties own scoring record
- Russia lead men’s U21 rankings
- Dominican Republic top women’s U20 rankings
- Japan host successful outreach programme
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- Eight teams vie for South American Championship crown
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open
- Milestone Saturday for Lucena & Dalhausser
- Zumkehr/Heidrich upset top seeds Wang/Yue to enter Xiamen Open semifinal
- Milestone gold medal for USA’s Lucena/Dalhausser in Xiamen Open
- Brazilian men stay top of FIVB World Ranking
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Participants Dalhausser & Lucena advance in China
- Latvia's Plavins/Regza storm to first FIVB World Tour semifinals at Xiamen Open
- Top seeds Yue/Wang unbeaten in pool play at Xiamen Open
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals participants beat the heat & humidity, stayin’ alive
- Nine berths still up for grabs as USA and Italy qualify for Rio
- Top seeds Wang/Yue off to good start in Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- President Graça praises outstanding World Cup
- Samoilovs/Smedins, Lucena/ Dalhausser reach last 16 at Xiamen Open
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Final Day
- USA’s Anderson heads Men’s World Cup Dream Team
- USA wrap up historic World Cup as Italy join them on road to Rio