Brazil claim gold medal at South American Youth Championship
Tarapoto, Peru, July 8, 2014 – Brazil, Argentina and Peru reached the podium of the five-day 19th South American Youth Championship at the Coliseo Bicentenario Morales on Sunday.
Top podium finishers Brazil, Argentina and Peru pose together at the closing ceremony of the 19th South American Youth Championship|
The three teams also claimed qualification tickets to the 2015 FIVB Volleyball U18 World Championship as an ultimate reward after their strong podium finishes.
Brazil beat hosts Peru in straight sets 3-0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-22), limiting their unforced errors to only 17 against the hosts' 27. Brazil were led by Beatriz Carvalho and Pietra Silva with 19 and 10 points respectively. The home team's Katherine Regalado and Nicole Abreu scored 13 points each in the losing effort.
Coach Luizomar Moura celebrated the victory as he earned the 20th championship of his career as Brazil coach.
"We had a very difficult challenge because of the pressure from Peruvian supporters," Luizomar said. "This is a very valuable victory for us."
Brazilian captain Pietra, who earned championships in other age groups, overcame fear to help her team win another championship.
"This is the second time I gained this championship in the youth level because last year I won in the junior category," Pietra said. "We were very nervous in the early going as the pressure form the supporters of Peru grew high. We conquered it and now we are moving forward to prepare for the Youth World Championship."
Argentina prevailed in their five-set match against Colombia 3-2 (22-25, 22-25, 25-12, 25-14, 15-5) to claim the silver medal.
During the awards ceremony, Mr Rafael Lloreda, President of the South American Volleyball Confederation, expressed his joy at the positive development of the championship.
"This sports festival demonstrates the high level of play that South Americans have," Lloreda said. "I am proud of the results and I congratulate Brazil, Argentina and Peru, who will show the way South Americans play volleyball at the world level."
Chile v Uruguay 3-0 (25-15, 25-14, 25-21)
Argentina v Colombia 3-2 (22-25, 22-25, 25-12, 25-14, 15-5)
Brazil v Peru 3-0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-22)
Best Outside Hitter: Adriana Durian (Colombia)
2nd Best Outside Hitter: Anahi Tosi (Argentina)
Best Middle Blocker: Candelaria Herrera (Argentina)
2nd Best Middle Blocker: Paula Maria Caraballo (Colombia)
Best Opposite: Katherine Regalado (Peru)
Best Setter: Amanda Sehn (Brazil)
Best Libero: Valentina Gonzalez (Argentina)
Most Valuable Player: Beatriz Carvalho (Brazil)
- Women’s Qualifier Opens Gstaad Major
- Egypt celebrates major triumph for African volleyball
- 360° images recreate finals magic
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event