Poland seek redemption after bad series
Gdansk, Poland, July 2, 2014 - Poland will try to cheer up their fans during the last weekend of the 2014 FIVB World League Intercontinental Round and qualify for the Finals when they face Pool A leaders Iran. The Poles are now last in the Pool A standings, but with the same number of points as Brazil and can still progress to the next stage of the tournament.
Poland's triple block could not stop Iran last week|
Iran have done well so far, winning six matches and only losing four - two against Italy and two against Brazil. They lead Pool A and are guaranteed qualification to the next round.
"My head is focused on winning and on hard work in every game, something that never ends," said Slobodan Kovac, Iran head coach. "My players have the same attitude."
The situation is not as good for Poland. They had a good start to the tournament - they managed to beat the Canarinhos in Brazil for the first time in many years - and moved on to home wins against Italy twice and Brazil once. Something clearly changed on June 22 when the White and Reds of Poland lost to the Brazilians in Bydgoszcz, however. They also lost both of their matches against Iran last week.
Poland head coach Stephane Antiga said: "We didn't have good spikes and blocks and I'm not happy with my players' performance. I hope we can play better in our next matches."
The brightest stars of the Polish team are returning to the team, however. Mariusz Wlazly, Bartosz Kurek, Marcin Mozdzonek and Krzysztof Ignaczak will join their teammates after recovering from minor injuries.
The two teams will meet on Friday and Saturday at 20.15 local time at the Ergo Arena in Gdansk.
- Second round has arrived with promises of more exciting matches
- Video challenge eyes the court in second and final round
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Introducing Round 2: Russia, USA, Turkey and Bulgaria seek a pass to the Final Six
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Ten unbeaten women’s teams Wednesday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Five huge surprises in men’s pool play FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam Wednesday
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2