Novi Sad Masters to provide stepping stone to 2015 World Championships
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg, July 1, 2014 - The 2014 CEV Beach Volleyball European Championship Novi Sad Masters kick off at the Strand venue on the banks of the Danube river today. What gives the event special significance this year is that it will also serve as a direct stepping stone to the 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships in the Netherlands.
The Novi Sad Masters will again take place on the beautiful banks of the Danube|
The International Volleyball Federation's new qualification rules for the Beach Volleyball World Championships have put continental quotas in place. Four spots per gender have been allocated to Europe. The European Volleyball Confederation has decided that these spots will be assigned to national federations whose duos are successful at the remaining Masters tournaments this year.
The two finalists of the men-only €25,000 Novi Sad Masters will earn tickets to the World Championships in the Netherlands, which for the first time in the history of the competition will be held in four different cities. The two other men’s berths will go to the winners of the next two Masters – in Biel, Switzerland and in Baku, Azerbaijan. These two events will also assign two women’s spots each to complete Europe’s quotas on the ladies’ side.
The Tuesday afternoon schedule in Novi Sad will feature the country quota matches for the teams from Austria, the Czech Republic and Norway. The 32-team qualification tournament will take place on Wednesday and the 24-team main draw play will begin on Thursday, with the final four games scheduled for Saturday, July 5.
A new main draw formula will be applied to a Masters tournament for the first time. The 24 participating duos will be split into eight pools with the top two pairs from each pool moving on to the 16-team single elimination phase.
Novi Sad Masters action from the quarterfinals on Friday and the semifinals and the finals on Saturday will be televised internationally. LAOLA1.tv has scheduled live streams from courts 1 and 2 for the full duration of the tournament, starting with the country quota playoffs today.
Click here for more information on the tournament.
- Brazil remain on top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games