Beach volleyball back in Umag for Continental Cup
Umag, Croatia, June 26, 2014 - Umag has been a centre for beach volleyball in Croatia in recent years, and will host the 2014-2016 CEV Beach Volleyball Continental Cup pool C first round matches from June 28-29. Four men’s and four women’s national teams will kick start their campaigns to earn berths at the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.
Poland’s Jagoda Gruszczynska celebrates victory in the final match of the 2013 FIVB U21 World Championship in Umag|
Umag played hosts to the FIVB U19 World Championships in 2011, the CEV Beach Volleyball Satellite Umag - Men in 2012 and the FIVB U21 World Championships in 2013. The organisers will aim to repeat the success of these events when the Continental Cup stops in Umag - one of eight cities across Europe hosting the competition in the month of June.
National teams from five different countries will compete. In the men’s category, the Czech Republic, Denmark and Luxembourg will join Croatia, the host country. They will target one of the top two spots in the tournament and direct qualification for the third round.
Croatia are the youngest team. The oldest player Filip Silic is 24, Ivan Zeljkovic is still a teenager at 19, while Niksa Dellorco and Mate Glaurdic are 22 and 21 respectively. The Croatian players were selected during a qualification tournament. Three out of four players are from Split, so they may find playing in Umag to their advantage as both cities are situated on the Adriatic coast.
The Czech Republic will be represented by two experienced brothers, Robert and David Kufa, who play with Jan Dumek and David Lenc respectively. The two duos from Denmark combine youth and experience and 27-year-old Martin Olesen will play with Peter Dilling Kildegaard Andersen, aged 23, while 30-year-old Anders Lunds Hoyer couples with Mads Rosager, also aged 23. Luxembourg will be represented by Ben Angelsberg/Tom Meres and Gil Nizard/Andy Koenig.
In the women’s category, Denmark, Luxembourg, Poland and hosts Croatia will also hope to make their way directly into the third round of the competition.
Poland have left nothing to chance and will field two players who became world champions in Umag: Karolina Baran, U19 world champion in 2011, and Jagoda Gruszczynska, U21 world champion in 2013. The two 19-year-olds are joined by Monika Brzostek and Kinga Kolosinska, who will play in Umag for the first time.
Croatia will be represented by Martina Matic/Dina Becic and one of the most experienced players in the tournament, 35-year-old Dalida Vernier, who plays with young Maja Rosko, aged 22. Luxembourg also have a young team, with two 20-year-old players Laura Weber and Eline Delcourt paired up with 19-year-old Rebekka Klerf and 28-year-old Corinne Steinbach respectively. Denmark rely on Eva Mielskov Bang/Cecilie Kollner Olsen and Line Trans Hansen/Helle Sondergard.
Click here for information on the 2014-2016 CEV Beach Volleyball Continental Cup - Men. Information on the 2014-2016 CEV Beach Volleyball Continental Cup - Women is available here.
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review