President Graça: World League Group 3 Finals provide "unique opportunity"
Lausanne, Switzerland, June 26, 2014 – As hosts Turkey, Cuba, China and Slovakia prepare for the FIVB Volleyball World League Group 3 Finals this weekend, FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° said these represented "a unique opportunity for the four teams involved to pick up some invaluable experience and put down markers for the seasons ahead."
The World League Group 3 Finals take place in Bursa, Turkey, on Saturday and Sunday|
The Group 3 Finals, which bring together the best teams in World League Pools F and G, take place at the Cengiz Gollu Volleyball Hall in Bursa, Turkey. On Saturday, the semifinals will see Cuba take on China at 14.00 local time, while hosts Turkey will play Slovakia at 17.00. On Sunday, the final for third place will be played at 14.00 local time, before the final for first place at 17.00.
This year, 28 teams are competing in the World League, which is ten teams more than in 2013. The 28 teams are split into seven pools of four teams each. Group 1 contains Pools A and B, Group 2 includes Pools C, D and E, while Group 3 saw Cuba take on debutants Tunisia, Turkey and Mexico in Pool F and China and Slovakia dominate Puerto Rico and Spain in Pool G.
Cuba finished top of Pool F on 15 points, two more than
second-placed Turkey. The Caribbean team have played their semifinal opponents China nine times in the World League, winning six matches and losing three. China meanwhile progressed to the semifinal after earning 14 points from five wins
and one loss in Pool G, three points more than runners-up Slovakia. Cuba are currently ranked seventh in the world and were 13th in the 2013 edition of the World League. China are ranked 18th, but did not participate in last year’s 18-team event.
The second semifinal will see Slovakia, who are ranked 36th and are also new to the FIVB’s premier annual competition for national teams, take on Turkey. The Group 3 Finals hosts are the lowest ranked team participating in this year's World League, but will hope to gain an advantage from playing in front of home support in Bursa. This is also their first participation in the competition.
Visit the Live Scorebox page for the latest news and results this weekend. World League Intercontinental Round action also continues with matches in Pools A-E.
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Introducing Round 2: Russia, USA, Turkey and Bulgaria seek a pass to the Final Six
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Ten unbeaten women’s teams Wednesday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Five huge surprises in men’s pool play FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam Wednesday
- Eight undefeated teams stand in good position to advance to second round after Day 2
- No second day shocks for tournament favourites
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 2 - As It Happened