Brazil’s Antonelli and Juliana face Czech team Kolocova/Slukova in Berlin final
Berlin, Germany, June 21, 2014 - Maria Antonelli and Juliana Felisberta upset the home crowd at the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Berlin smart Grand Slam by defeating Germany’s Karla Borger and Britta Büthe 2-0 (21-15, 21-17) in the semifinal on Saturday.
Kristyna Kolocova (left) and Marketa Slukova play their second final in a month|
The Brazilians will play Czech team Kristyna Kolocova and Marketa Slukova in the final on Sunday.
After a clear win in the first set of the semifinal, it was point-by-point in the second set. The Germans created a two-point gap from 8-8, but Antonelli and Juliana took over from 16-16. Vice-world champions Borger and Büthe made some mistakes in reception and attack and at 20-17 Antonelli served a winner to claim a spot in the Berlin final.
“It was incredible”, said Antonelli, who had some strong finishes and really grew in the tournament. “I am very happy that me and Juliana could serve strong in this wind and that we stayed together all the time. It was fantastic to play for this audience and I hope they will cheer for us tomorrow.”
Antonelli and Juliana teamed up this year and won silver at the Fuzhou Open and Puerto Vallarta Open already. “I am so happy for our new team and new coaches”, said Antonelli, who has never won a medal before in Germany. Juliana collected one gold, two silvers and one bronze over the years in Berlin with her old partner Larissa Franca.
Kolocova/Slukova reach second final in a month
Kolocova and Slukova reached their second final in just over a month, after winning the Prague Open in May. The Czech team defeated China’s Fan Wang and Yuan Yue 2-0 (21-15 21-17) in the semifinal.
Slukova served strong throughout the game, creating a gap in the first set from 16-13 to 20-13 on her service turn. The Czechs closed the set on their third set point.
In the second part the Chinese hung on till 15-15, but again Slukova made the difference with her serve. At the first Czech match point China hit the ball in the net and left Kolocova and Slukova to celebrate.
“We won!”, said Slukova. “It’s perfect, I can’t believe it. Now the final. We are the outsiders, so that works for us perfectly.”
Two finals in one month is a perfect reward for all the hard work, said Kolocova. “We asked our coach in the preparation for this season if we improved a little, because this is our tenth season and it’s hard work all the time.”
“To make a step forward is always very difficult”, she continued. “Last year we were fifth, ninth and once we made the semifinals, but now we proved that we did take that step.”
Asked about what caused their recent success, Kolocova said: “Our serving has gotten better and I improved my setting, that was a bit of a problem last year. And it’s our spirit, we fight together. We’re cheering more for each other, shouting more than we were used too.”
They needed to get rid of the Czech mentality, Kolocova explained. “We wanted a more American mood. More self-confident, for Czechs that is not easy. When we get pissed, it’s over and we play half of what we can. And with our height we have to play at least a hundred percent.”
smart Grand Slam Tournament Page
smart Grand Slam women’s results
smart Grand Slam mens’ results
Tour Twitter Account
- World Tour Finals features Olympic champs
- Brazil remain top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament