Brazil’s Antonelli and Juliana face Czech team Kolocova/Slukova in Berlin final
Berlin, Germany, June 21, 2014 - Maria Antonelli and Juliana Felisberta upset the home crowd at the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Berlin smart Grand Slam by defeating Germany’s Karla Borger and Britta Büthe 2-0 (21-15, 21-17) in the semifinal on Saturday.
Kristyna Kolocova (left) and Marketa Slukova play their second final in a month|
The Brazilians will play Czech team Kristyna Kolocova and Marketa Slukova in the final on Sunday.
After a clear win in the first set of the semifinal, it was point-by-point in the second set. The Germans created a two-point gap from 8-8, but Antonelli and Juliana took over from 16-16. Vice-world champions Borger and Büthe made some mistakes in reception and attack and at 20-17 Antonelli served a winner to claim a spot in the Berlin final.
“It was incredible”, said Antonelli, who had some strong finishes and really grew in the tournament. “I am very happy that me and Juliana could serve strong in this wind and that we stayed together all the time. It was fantastic to play for this audience and I hope they will cheer for us tomorrow.”
Antonelli and Juliana teamed up this year and won silver at the Fuzhou Open and Puerto Vallarta Open already. “I am so happy for our new team and new coaches”, said Antonelli, who has never won a medal before in Germany. Juliana collected one gold, two silvers and one bronze over the years in Berlin with her old partner Larissa Franca.
Kolocova/Slukova reach second final in a month
Kolocova and Slukova reached their second final in just over a month, after winning the Prague Open in May. The Czech team defeated China’s Fan Wang and Yuan Yue 2-0 (21-15 21-17) in the semifinal.
Slukova served strong throughout the game, creating a gap in the first set from 16-13 to 20-13 on her service turn. The Czechs closed the set on their third set point.
In the second part the Chinese hung on till 15-15, but again Slukova made the difference with her serve. At the first Czech match point China hit the ball in the net and left Kolocova and Slukova to celebrate.
“We won!”, said Slukova. “It’s perfect, I can’t believe it. Now the final. We are the outsiders, so that works for us perfectly.”
Two finals in one month is a perfect reward for all the hard work, said Kolocova. “We asked our coach in the preparation for this season if we improved a little, because this is our tenth season and it’s hard work all the time.”
“To make a step forward is always very difficult”, she continued. “Last year we were fifth, ninth and once we made the semifinals, but now we proved that we did take that step.”
Asked about what caused their recent success, Kolocova said: “Our serving has gotten better and I improved my setting, that was a bit of a problem last year. And it’s our spirit, we fight together. We’re cheering more for each other, shouting more than we were used too.”
They needed to get rid of the Czech mentality, Kolocova explained. “We wanted a more American mood. More self-confident, for Czechs that is not easy. When we get pissed, it’s over and we play half of what we can. And with our height we have to play at least a hundred percent.”
smart Grand Slam Tournament Page
smart Grand Slam women’s results
smart Grand Slam mens’ results
Tour Twitter Account
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds