Antonelli/Juliana knock out Ross/Walsh to advance to semifinal
Berlin, Germany, June 21, 2014 – Maria Antonelli and Juliana Felisberta upset USA’s April Ross and Kerri Walsh with a 2-1 (18-21, 21-14, 15-12) win in the quarterfinals at the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Berlin smart Grand Slam on Saturday.
Maria Antonelli (left) and Juliana Felisberta are one of the semifinalist in Berlin|
The Brazilian qualifiers now face home team Karla Borger and Britta Büthe in the semifinal at 16.00 this afternoon.
New pair Antonelli and Juliana, who reached the final four for the third time this year, had to come back from behind after losing the first set. In the tiebreak they jumped ahead three points after a big block by Juliana on Ross.
The Brazilians had their first match point at 14-11 and at their second Antonelli scored the winner with a nice shot down the line.
“We were very focussed during the match”, said Antonelli. “Now we only need to think about the semifinal. It was a good match, but now we need to focus on the next two.”
For Borger and Büthe this will be their first semifinal since the FIVB World Championships in Stare Jablonki last year, where they finished second.
The German team defeated Brazil’s Agatha Bednarczuk and Barbara Seixas 2-0 (21-19, 21-15).
“We served well”, said Büthe. “And in the middle of the first set we had some lucky balls.”
“It feels good to be playing”, Borger said. “We have been able to score at some close moments. All we want to do now is have fun, have good weather and play in front of this great audience.”
Czech eliminate title defenders Talita/Lima
In the other semifinal at 17.00, Prague Open champions Kristyna Kolocova and Marketa Slukova will play against China’s Wang Fan and Yuan Yue.
The Czech team eliminated last year’s champions Talita Antunes and Taiana Lima, winning 2-1 (14-21, 21-19, 15-11).
“First of all I want to thank my partner”, said Kolocova after scoring the winning point. “I played crap in the beginning, you could all see that, and she helped me. Marketa really started to serve well.”
Kolocova said she did not care whom they would have to play in the semifinal. “If we play well we can beat any team.”
Wang Fan and Yuan Yue, who won silver in Shanghai this season, defeated Australia’s Louse Bawden and Taliqua Clancy 2-0 (21-18, 23-21).
smart Grand Slam Tournament Page
smart Grand Slam women’s results
smart Grand Slam mens’ results
Tour Twitter Account
- Poland, Netherlands, Czech Republic, Bulgaria assume early pool leadership in World Grand Prix
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 11 events
- Elisa Togut looks ahead to Women's World Championship
- Social Timeline: Golden fun in the Long Beach sun
- Social Timeline: New format, same excitement as 2014 Grand Prix begins
- Historic success for Mexico
- USA’s Dalhausser & Rosenthal net third 2014 World Tour gold
- Ross/Walsh Jennings capture women’s gold on home sand
- Back-to-back Larnaka gold for Poland’s Bryl and Kujawiak
- Four European teams keep spotless win-records in World Grand Prix
- Brazil to battle USA Sunday for Long Beach women’s gold
- Men’s Long Beach final between Poland, USA
- U21 World Championships in Larnaka down to last eight
- Collin cites competition
- Kenya stand as sole debutant winner on World Grand Prix opener
- Two USA duos along with Germany, Poland win quarterfinals Friday in Long Beach
- Women’s elite eight ready for quarterfinals and semis in Long Beach
- Top teams thrive at U21 World Championships
- Lima is ready for the World Grand Prix
- Akers applies authentic accentuate
- Africa Queens land in Mexico for FIVB World Grand Prix
- Mexico to stage first weekend of FIVB World Grand Prix Pool Q matches
- 24 Men’s teams set for Long Beach single-elimination rounds
- Women’s field reduced to 24 for single-elimination rounds in Long Beach
- Main draw of the FIVB U21 World Championships on its way
- Beach Volleyball under the Big “T.O.P.”
- World Grand Prix statistical preview: Brazil eye back-to-back titles
- 2014 FIVB World Grand Prix Media Guide online
- Peru intensify workouts ahead of World Grand Prix
- Kazakhstan bring in experience for World Grand Prix opening weekend in Almaty
- Argentina prepare for first weekend of World Grand Prix
- Five teams make their debuts as record-breaking FIVB World Grand Prix gets underway
- World Grand Prix: Bigger and better than ever
- 1986: USA bring a halt to East European dominance
- World League's top four USA, Brazil, Italy and Iran contribute to Dream Team
- 13 Women’s duos win first two of three rounds of Pool Play Wednesday at Alamitos Beach
- Men complete first of three rounds of Pool Play at Long Beach
- Researcher reaps rewards
- Eight qualification winners and five lucky losers make it into U21 main draw
- FIVB President holds FIVB Volleyball Women’s World Championship talks with JVA and TBS
- “Best ever”: USA and the sport of volleyball are winners as the FIVB World League celebrates its 25th anniversary
- Italian Prime Minister attends FIVB World League Finals in Florence
- ASICS World Series of Beach Volleyball, a $1,000,000 FIVB Grand Slam in Long Beach
- Finding Stars on Alamitos Beach
- Andrea Zorzi: Speed is at the heart of modern volleyball
- World League performances reshuffle world ranking
- Algeria to host Women's U18 and U23 African Nations Championships
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - July 21
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 10 events
- Social Timeline: The Netherlands put on a Grand Slam show