Antonelli/Juliana knock out Ross/Walsh to advance to semifinal
Berlin, Germany, June 21, 2014 – Maria Antonelli and Juliana Felisberta upset USA’s April Ross and Kerri Walsh with a 2-1 (18-21, 21-14, 15-12) win in the quarterfinals at the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Berlin smart Grand Slam on Saturday.
Maria Antonelli (left) and Juliana Felisberta are one of the semifinalist in Berlin|
The Brazilian qualifiers now face home team Karla Borger and Britta Büthe in the semifinal at 16.00 this afternoon.
New pair Antonelli and Juliana, who reached the final four for the third time this year, had to come back from behind after losing the first set. In the tiebreak they jumped ahead three points after a big block by Juliana on Ross.
The Brazilians had their first match point at 14-11 and at their second Antonelli scored the winner with a nice shot down the line.
“We were very focussed during the match”, said Antonelli. “Now we only need to think about the semifinal. It was a good match, but now we need to focus on the next two.”
For Borger and Büthe this will be their first semifinal since the FIVB World Championships in Stare Jablonki last year, where they finished second.
The German team defeated Brazil’s Agatha Bednarczuk and Barbara Seixas 2-0 (21-19, 21-15).
“We served well”, said Büthe. “And in the middle of the first set we had some lucky balls.”
“It feels good to be playing”, Borger said. “We have been able to score at some close moments. All we want to do now is have fun, have good weather and play in front of this great audience.”
Czech eliminate title defenders Talita/Lima
In the other semifinal at 17.00, Prague Open champions Kristyna Kolocova and Marketa Slukova will play against China’s Wang Fan and Yuan Yue.
The Czech team eliminated last year’s champions Talita Antunes and Taiana Lima, winning 2-1 (14-21, 21-19, 15-11).
“First of all I want to thank my partner”, said Kolocova after scoring the winning point. “I played crap in the beginning, you could all see that, and she helped me. Marketa really started to serve well.”
Kolocova said she did not care whom they would have to play in the semifinal. “If we play well we can beat any team.”
Wang Fan and Yuan Yue, who won silver in Shanghai this season, defeated Australia’s Louse Bawden and Taliqua Clancy 2-0 (21-18, 23-21).
smart Grand Slam Tournament Page
smart Grand Slam women’s results
smart Grand Slam mens’ results
Tour Twitter Account
- The ABCs of Beach Volleyball - Agatha, Barbara and Consistency
- Brazilian women capture 19th gold in South American Championship
- The Fan Zone - SWATCH Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 6
- FIVB World Tour 2016 starts in Mexico with FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals
- Brazilian Beach Clinic
- Brazil record 30th title win in South American Championship
- Talita & Larissa net gold medal & “richest” prize
- Russian claim back-to-back European titles to cement status as Europe's Volleyball Queens
- Evandro & Pedro rebound for bronze medal finish
- Track stars become Beach Volleyball fans
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 4
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight
- Puerto Rican Aury Cruz ties own scoring record
- Russia lead men’s U21 rankings
- Dominican Republic top women’s U20 rankings
- Japan host successful outreach programme
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- Eight teams vie for South American Championship crown
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open
- Milestone Saturday for Lucena & Dalhausser
- Zumkehr/Heidrich upset top seeds Wang/Yue to enter Xiamen Open semifinal
- Milestone gold medal for USA’s Lucena/Dalhausser in Xiamen Open
- Brazilian men stay top of FIVB World Ranking
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Participants Dalhausser & Lucena advance in China
- Latvia's Plavins/Regza storm to first FIVB World Tour semifinals at Xiamen Open
- Top seeds Yue/Wang unbeaten in pool play at Xiamen Open
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals participants beat the heat & humidity, stayin’ alive
- Nine berths still up for grabs as USA and Italy qualify for Rio
- Top seeds Wang/Yue off to good start in Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- President Graça praises outstanding World Cup
- Samoilovs/Smedins, Lucena/ Dalhausser reach last 16 at Xiamen Open
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Final Day