Impressive start for Doherty and Lucena in Berlin main draw
Berlin, Germany, June 19, 2014 – After qualifying on Wednesday for the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Berlin smart Grand Slam, Ryan Doherty and Nick Lucena showed off some great play in main draw on Thursday.
USA's Ryan Doherty (photo) and Nick Lucena had two impressive wins|
The 24th seeded Americans upset world champions Alexander Brouwer and Robert Meeuwsen (21-16, 21-16) in the morning and defeated Berlin’s reigning champions Vitor Felipe and Evandro Goncalves (15-21, 21-14, 15-13) in their second pool match.
“We had to play two really good teams today, the defending world champs and Vitor and Evandro who have been playing phenomenally this year”, Doherty said.
“So we knew we had to come out and play really good volleyball. My partner played great all day, which was a huge lift for me and we were able to get out with a couple of wins.”
The American qualifiers had to come back from behind in their match against Brazil. In the tiebreak Doherty and Lucena leapt away from 7-7 and had their first match point at 14-10. The Brazilians managed to come back to 13-14, but after a time-out Lucena came back to score the winning point.
Windy and swirling
Both teams were struggling with the windy conditions on Washingtonplatz, but the Americans coped better, using low passes and setting.
“It was definitely windy and swirling”, said Doherty.
“So it was not necessarily one good side and one bad side. Thankfully we trained a lot in Florida, which has very similar conditions. We kind of tried to use that to our advantage and play that style of game and things worked out for us.”
After an impressive career in baseball - with 2.14 meters he was the tallest pitcher in minor league history - Doherty started playing beach volleyball in 2013 with the legendary Todd Rogers.
At the end of last season he teamed up with Lucena for the Sao Paulo Grand Slam, to finish 5th. This year they booked two 17th place finishes in Shanghai and Moscow.
Lucky to play with Lucena
“This is our first full year, we only played one event together last year. And so far it’s been great”, said Doherty. “We obviously have our ups and downs and our miscommunications, but he’s a phenomenal volleyball player and a really good guy and I feel very lucky to play with him.”
Doherty is excited to play in the German capital. “Berlin always puts on a good event, so I am really looking forward to see how well we can do. We want to play as long as we can and hopefully be standing on the podium at the end of the tournament.”
- Dr. Bin Nasser invites to work together for a brighter future
- “Innovation and opportunities are the keys for development” - President Graça
- Eleven unbeaten women’s duos after two pool play rounds at FIVB Paraná Open
- Eleven men’s teams advance to Thursday’s start of FIVB Paraná Open main draw
- World Congress to be streamed live
- Board of Administration examines proposals for Congress
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Argentina for $150,000 FIVB Paraná Open
- Executive Committee meets ahead of FIVB Congress
- Paraná hosts next stop on World Tour circuit
- FIVB looks to future ahead of 2014 Congress
- Iran stuns China for Asian Men's U20 gold
- Volleyball heavyweights eye Asian U20 Championship gold
- China, Iran claw their way to gold medal match
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - October 24
- Four qualify for U21 World Championship at Asian U20s
- "World champs show volleyball is still growing" says Sykora
- “Iron Hammer” takes heart from encouraging new start
- MVP award crowns Wlazly's persistence
- Qatar, Taipei complete final eight at Asian U20 champs
- Japan, Thailand bag crucial wins to reach Asian U20 quarterfinals
- "Unpredictable" World Championship impresses Zorzi
- Japan beat hosts Thailand to retain Asian Girls’ U17 crown
- China show dominance on third day of Asian U20 champs
- China upsets Korea in Asian volleyball clash
- Four teams bettered previous bests at Italy 2014
- Over 1,400 youngsters at Buenos Aires Volley All Festival
- Peru to meet Argentina for the gold at U20 Final Four
- Japan, hosts Thailand set up final showdown in Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Parana launches next stop on World Tour
- Peru overcome Cuba to stay undefeated at U20 Cup
- MVP Hill shares World Championship glory
- Watch: Hill, Zeng lead teams during impressive FIVB Women's WCH final
- Beach Volleyball Commission maps out road ahead
- Volleyball Tracking System offers new insight for fans
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - October 15
- SS Rotterdam announced as venue for FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015
- Panoramic view provides unique souvenir of Women's World Championship final in Milan
- World champions USA claim top spot in women's ranking
- Social Media Wrap-Up - FIVB Women's World Championship
- President Graça praises "successful" World Championship
- FIVB selects Rosetta Stone to enhance communication among athletes and referees
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 15 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Final Day - As It Happened
- USA's Kim Hill honoured with World Championship MVP award
- Golden moment closes World Championship
- USA win first World Championship title, China and Brazil complete the podium
- Juliana/Antonelli clinch first gold at Xiamen Open
- Coaches Lang Ping and Kiraly, star players 30 years ago, face off in title match
- More history to be decided in Finals
- USA and China to meet in World Championship final