Tough opening match for 2013 champions Talita/Lima in Berlin
Berlin, Germany, June 16, 2014 - Last year’s champions Talita Antunes and Taiana Lima were pushed hard in their opening match of the FIVB World Tour Berlin smart Grand Slam on Wednesday.
Talita and Lima (left) won the Brazilian get-together with Antonelli and Juliana|
They eventually defeated their fellow Brazilians Maria Antonelli and Juliana Felisberta 2-0 (26-24 23-21) in an entertaining match with lots of rallies, but it could have easily gone the other way.
In the first set Antonelli and Juliana were leading three points and had four opportunities to win it, before Talita and Lima took over and finished the set at their second set point: 26-24.
The 2013 World Tour champions took a 16-11 lead in the second, but Antonelli and Juliana levelled at 18-18 to have another two opportunities to win the set. Again they did not succeed and Talita scored the winning point with a block at their second match point.
“We just lost focus, we made some mistakes, but we kept talking to each other and kept calm and focussed on the next ball”, said Talita.
“They are a good team, I played with Maria for four years and Juliana was the best team for seven years around, so it was hard some times”, she continued.
Talita and Lima had played the other Brazilian team once before in a FIVB tournament, at the Puerto Vallarta Open this year, where Anton Elli and Juliana actually eliminated them in the quarterfinals.
“We know that if we have to play another Brazilian team it’s always going to be hard”, said Talia. “They had set points in both sets, but we never gave up.”
Last year Talia and Lima defeated German team Holtwick/Semmler in the final. They also won the 2013 FIVB World Tour Championship, with five gold medals, one silver and one bronze. This year they have collected one medal so far, finishing at the Moscow Grand Slam last week.
“Berlin has a good vibe for our team”, Talita said about returning to the German capital. “We won last year. But we only look ahead as far as the next match.”
“I always want to be in the final. In every tournament. But we have to take it step-by-step, match-by-match. This was a good start and good for our confidence.”
- Grbic inspires Workshop participants
- Dr. Bin Nasser invites to work together for a brighter future
- “Innovation and opportunities are the keys for development” - President Graça
- Eleven unbeaten women’s duos after two pool play rounds at FIVB Paraná Open
- Eleven men’s teams advance to Thursday’s start of FIVB Paraná Open main draw
- World Congress to be streamed live
- Board of Administration examines proposals for Congress
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Argentina for $150,000 FIVB Paraná Open
- Executive Committee meets ahead of FIVB Congress
- Paraná hosts next stop on World Tour circuit
- FIVB looks to future ahead of 2014 Congress
- Iran stuns China for Asian Men's U20 gold
- Volleyball heavyweights eye Asian U20 Championship gold
- China, Iran claw their way to gold medal match
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - October 24
- Four qualify for U21 World Championship at Asian U20s
- "World champs show volleyball is still growing" says Sykora
- “Iron Hammer” takes heart from encouraging new start
- MVP award crowns Wlazly's persistence
- Qatar, Taipei complete final eight at Asian U20 champs
- Japan, Thailand bag crucial wins to reach Asian U20 quarterfinals
- "Unpredictable" World Championship impresses Zorzi
- Japan beat hosts Thailand to retain Asian Girls’ U17 crown
- China show dominance on third day of Asian U20 champs
- China upsets Korea in Asian volleyball clash
- Four teams bettered previous bests at Italy 2014
- Over 1,400 youngsters at Buenos Aires Volley All Festival
- Peru to meet Argentina for the gold at U20 Final Four
- Japan, hosts Thailand set up final showdown in Asian Girls’ U17 Championship
- Parana launches next stop on World Tour
- Peru overcome Cuba to stay undefeated at U20 Cup
- MVP Hill shares World Championship glory
- Watch: Hill, Zeng lead teams during impressive FIVB Women's WCH final
- Beach Volleyball Commission maps out road ahead
- Volleyball Tracking System offers new insight for fans
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - October 15
- SS Rotterdam announced as venue for FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015
- Panoramic view provides unique souvenir of Women's World Championship final in Milan
- World champions USA claim top spot in women's ranking
- Social Media Wrap-Up - FIVB Women's World Championship
- President Graça praises "successful" World Championship
- FIVB selects Rosetta Stone to enhance communication among athletes and referees
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 15 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Final Day - As It Happened
- USA's Kim Hill honoured with World Championship MVP award
- Golden moment closes World Championship
- USA win first World Championship title, China and Brazil complete the podium
- Juliana/Antonelli clinch first gold at Xiamen Open
- Coaches Lang Ping and Kiraly, star players 30 years ago, face off in title match
- More history to be decided in Finals