Top of the world returns to Berlin’s ‘Mitte’ for the FIVB smart Grand Slam
Berlin, Germany, June 16, 2014 – The world’s best beach volleyball teams have travelled to Germany this week for the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Berlin smart Grand Slam. After two years in the Olympic Park the centre court has been moved back to the city centre, at the Washingtonplatz.
Germany's Ilka Semmler (left) and Katrin Holtwick hope to reach the final again|
In between the central station, the chancellery and the Reichstag (the parliament building) a 4.000-seat arena has arisen. The $800.000 Berlin smart Grand Slam will also set up courts at Germany’s largest beach volleyball club Beach Mitte, 15 minutes down the road.
Tournament director Siegbert Brutschin counts on a fantastic atmosphere.
“We have the best beach volleyball players in the world coming here, in one of the most beautiful cities, and an amazing venue. This will be a world class event for both players and spectators”, he said at Monday's press conference.
Especially the German national players are looking forward to the event. “Our sport becomes more and more popular and has the attention of a lot of people”, said Matisik, who won bronze at the World Championships with Jonathan Erdmann last year. “Playing beach volleyball in the heart of Berlin and near the government quarters will be a special experience for all of us athletes.”
Last year’s silver medallist Katrin Holtwick: “I wouldn’t say no to first place this time. Supported by our home crowd we will try to deliver a similar performance. Holtwick and her partner Ilka Semmler lost the final last year to Brazil’s Talita Antunes and Taiana Lima.
The Berlin smart Grand Slam starts with the women’s qualification on Tuesday, with Brazil’s Maria Antonelli and Juliana Felisberta de Silva leading the field. A total of 21 teams are competing for 8 spots in main draw. The men will take to the sand on Wednesday. Both finals will be played on Sunday.
Top of the world
Among the teams that travelled to Berlin are the European champions Madelein Meppelink and Marleen van Iersel (NED) and Paolo Nicolai and Daniele Lupo (ITA) and the Moscow champions April Ross and Kerri Walsh (USA) and Konstantin Semenov and Viacheslav Krasilnikov (RUS).
Also competing in Berlin are world champions Alexander Brouwer and Robert Meeuwsen (NED) and last year’s gold medallists Talita Antunes and Taiana Lima (BRA) and Vitor Felipe and Evandro Goncalves (BRA).
Germany’s top team Laura Ludwig and Kira Walkenhorst had to forfeit due to injury. Walkenhorst has an inflammation of the shoulder.
The FIVB World Tour is in Germany for the 15th time for men and the ninth time for a women’s tournament. All of the FIVB World Tour events have been held in Berlin and this will be the third straight year Berlin has hosted an FIVB World Tour stop. Berlin also hosted the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships in 2005.
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds