Fabi retires from Brazilian women's volleyball
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, June 13, 2014 - One of the great names in the history of Brazilian volleyball Fabi decided to retire from the Brazilian women's volleyball team on Friday.
Fabi won two Olympic gold medals, six World Grand Prix titles, two World Championship silver medals, six South American crowns and one Pan-American Games trophy during her career with Brazil.|
The 34-year-old double Olympic champion announced she would not play for the green and yellow team.
The libero will continue playing for Brazilian club side Unilever and will focus on personal projects, completing one of the longest and most victorious volleyball careers with the shirt of the Brazilian national team.
Fabiana 'Fabi' Oliveira won 275 games out of 313 played over 12 years of playing for Brazil, who will start the defence of their FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix title on August 1.
Amongst the major titles won by Fabi are two Olympic gold medals, six World Grand Prix titles, two World Championship silver medals, six South American crowns and one Pan-American Games trophy.
“It was a very difficult decision., I thought about it all last year and up to this moment,” she said. “I thought about what I had done in the national team. My relationship with the national team was the best wedding that could happen. After two Olympic medals I had a clear view of what I had achieved, being aware that it was nice that everything went well and I did everything I had to do. I contributed as best you can and leave a nice story. My mission was accomplished.
"This is the hardest time for the athlete to decide when to stop. Today I have been thinking about other things, like studying, and I see myself more within the selection. Starting today, I am a big supporter of that group. I leave friends and unforgettable moments. What I will miss most is the interaction with the group," Fabi said.
Coach Jose Roberto Guimaraes lamented the decision of the athlete, but made a point to thank Fabi for years of service to the Brazilian national team.
"We tried to change her decision because her story mixes with the history of this group,” he said. “She overcame many difficulties and obstacles for the player she is today. Her story is the commitment, dedication and resilience, especially in the most difficult moments of her career. We have to respect the choice and hope she is very happy. Nevertheless, what is important is the legacy and the example of a person and athlete that she gives for everyone. I know how much Fabi is loved and that will be greatly missed. I appreciate everything she did for the team."
The double Olympic champion Sheilla Castro also commented on Fabi’s decision.
"I did not expect her to make that decision this year, but I understand her choice. She talked about the decision and I understand the reasons. I'm sure she will be successful in what she chooses in her life."
- Brazil remain on top of men’s world ranking after gold finish in Rio 2016
- Olympic champions China reach top spot in women’s world ranking
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games