USA host Serbia in World League 'Match of the week'
Lausanne, Switzerland, June 13, 2014 - On week four of the FIVB Volleyball World League, 'Match of the week' turns its attention to Saturday's pool B clash between USA and Serbia. The programme allows broadcasters to televise one match from each week of the FIVB’s premier annual tournament for men for free.
The USA celebrate after beating pool B rivals Bulgaria 3-2|
The two teams will play at 19.00 local time at the UIC Pavillion in Chicago, in the second of two meetings between USA and Serbia this weekend. The United States (WR 4) and Serbia (WR 9) are on ten points after four matches each in pool B, which also features Bulgaria (WR 6) and defending champions Russia (WR 2), both on two points.
Saturday's match will be a replay of the 2008 World League final, when USA beat Serbia 3-1 to grab their first ever World League title. USA and Serbia (including Yugoslavia and Serbia and Montenegro), however, have met eight times before in the World League, with Serbia winning on six occasions.
The North American team have begun their World League campaign with four wins, two away to Bulgaria and two hosting Russia. Their first matches against the two teams both went to five sets. Serbia, on the other hand, won their first two matches against Russia, before pulling off victories away to Bulgaria. Players to look out for this weekend include Erik Shoji of the United States, who has a receiving efficiency of 62.5%, which is the best of all players in group 1 (Pool A and B) this World League season. Serbia’s Uros Kovacevic has a spike rate of 52.8%, making him the most efficient player of group 1 (Pool A and B) in this category.
Speaking ahead of the two-match encounter this weekend, US Head Coach John Speraw said: "That’s always fun when you have a match between two teams at the top of the pool. (Serbia) are an exceptional volleyball team. They play the game very well. They control the ball very well. They have a really high-level service game. It will present us with another really unique challenge."
The first World League 'Match of the Week' saw Brazil, last year’s World League silver medallists and current World Champions, take on Italy in a pool A match on May 24 in Jaragua Do Sul, Brazil. The Italians defeated Brazil 3-1 (17-25, 26-24, 23-25, 20-25).
Week two of the competition saw the 'Match of the week' programme zoom in on Serbia's victory against Russia 3-1 (21-25, 25-16, 25-18, 25-20). In week three, the programme highlighted the pool A match between Italy and Poland at the spectacular outdoor venue at the Foro Italico in Rome, which the hosts won 3-1 (25-21, 25-20, 15-25, 25-17) in front of 11,000 enthusiastic fans.
This week fans will be able to watch the United States take on Sertbia in a pool B match on June 14 at 19.00 local time at the UIC Pavillion in Chicago.
Week five will see Poland take on Brazil on June 22 at 19.30 at Luczniczka Hall in Bydgoszcz. Week six will feature Russia again, this time taking on USA in a pool B match on June 28 at 18.00 at the Yantarny Arena in Kaliningrad. In week 7, fans will be able to watch Bulgaria host Russia in a pool B match on July 6 at 20.00 at the Arena Armeec in Sofia.
The FIVB Volleyball World League which began on May 23 will end with the Finals taking place on July 20.
For more information, contact the FIVB TV & Marketing Department at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Beach Volleyball - Family Sport Entertainment
- Beach volleyball’s success based on hard work
- Golden era for beach volleyball
- FIVB World Continental Cup Olympic Qualification tournament to take place in Russia
- Martinez chosen for 2020 PlayTrue Torch Relay Project
- World Tour Finals in Fort Lauderdale: Saving the best for last
- Eight teams earn men’s main draw spots at FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- The ABCs of Beach Volleyball - Agatha, Barbara and Consistency
- Challenges Create Court Confidence
- Brazilian women capture 19th gold in South American Championship
- Australia's Bawden and Clancy defend Asian title
- The Fan Zone - SWATCH Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 6
- FIVB World Tour 2016 starts in Mexico with FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals
- Brazilian Beach Clinic
- Brazil record 30th title win in Men's South American Championship
- Talita & Larissa net gold medal & “richest” prize
- Russian claim back-to-back European titles to cement status as Europe's Volleyball Queens
- Evandro & Pedro rebound for bronze medal finish
- Track stars become Beach Volleyball fans
- Brazilian world champions net SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals bronze medal
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 5
- Fort Lauderdale - Another key part of the beach volleyball success story
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 4
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Beach Volleyball rivalry blasts sky high
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight
- Puerto Rican Aury Cruz ties own scoring record
- Russia lead men’s U21 rankings
- Dominican Republic top women’s U20 rankings
- Japan host successful outreach programme
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- Eight teams vie for South American Championship crown
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open