Latvian qualifiers upset home team Losiak/Bryl to top the pool
Myslowice, Poland, June 13, 2014 - Latvian qualifiers Edvarts Buivids and Pekmanis Reinis upset the Polish team Bartosz Losiak and Michal Bryl early on Friday to top their pool at the FIVB Beach Volleyball U23 World Championships in Myslowice.
Edvarts Buivids (photo) and Pekmanis Reinis came all the way from qualification to top the pool|
Both teams were unbeaten so far, but the Latvians proved to be the stronger team, winning 2-0 (21-17, 21-15).
“We started from qualification and now we are first in the pool, I think it’s great”, 20-year old Buivids said. “We had to play qualification because last year in CEV U22 our country played very bad, so that’s why we did not get a spot in main draw.”
Buivids and his 21-year old partner did not play at the U23 last year and their best result so far was 9th at the U21 in Umag in 2013, while Losiak won the U23 with Piotr Kantor last year.
“We hoped for this result, but we just needed to play and show our best game. I think we can play very good”, said Buivids about their preparation. “They had a lot of mistakes in serving and I think we almost played a 100 percent side-out and I think that was the key in winning. And good discipline in block-defence.”
Latvians more attuned
After winning the first set, the Latvians took a lead again in the second. Poland came back to level at 10-10 due to some strong serving by Losiak, including two aces, but the first seeded Polish were not consistent enough to keep up with the more attuned Latvians. At their first match point Buivids and Reinis secured the win and a passage to the second elimination round.
Although they did not make a lot of mistakes, Reinis thinks there is room for improvement. “We had some problems in the second set. We started to relax and had problems concentrating. Then we had bad reception and bad setting and made some stupid mistakes.”
Buivids recently made his debut on the World Tour at the side of veteran Ruslans Sorokins. His best result so far was 17th place at the Fuzhou and Anapa Open. This experience helped him improve his game.
“I started to prepare for the beach volleyball season early February and it really helped, playing these tournaments against those big guys. It was really a good experience. I will continue to play in World Tour with Ruslans.”
Losiak and Bryl will probably play in the first elimination round Friday afternoon, although they still have a chance of a bye if they are among the best two runners-up out of the six pools.
The Polish players were put together at the last moment, since Losiak’s partner Kantor injured his knee. “Me and Michal Bryl have been playing together for a short time, but that’s not an excuse”, said Losiak.
“We have to play hard every game, no matter what. Our loss today is probably caused by the fact we had to play against a more difficult opponent. The previous games were really easy, because the teams we played didn’t present very complicated volleyball.”
FIVB U23 Women’s
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro win battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcome Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers