The United States and Guatemala dominate in NORCECA Men’s Pool O
Colorado Springs, United States, May 15, 2014 - The United States and Guatemala registered straight set victories on Thursday to open the NORCECA Men’s Pool O Third-Round Qualification Tournament for the FIVB Volleyball Men's World Championships in Poland.
Veteran Reid Priddy scored 11 points for the United States|
An experienced United States squad used a 10-0 block advantage en route to defeating St. Lucia 3-0 (25-13, 25-9, 25-9), while Guatemala overpowered Haiti 3-0 (25-17, 25-20, 25-8) at the US Olympic Training Centre in Colorado Springs.
Carson Clark produced a match-high 12 points for the US and Reid Priddy totalled 11. St. Lucia’s Joseph Clercent and Julian Bissette notched six points each in the loss.
In addition to their blocking dominance, the US held a 7-1 margin in aces and limited their errors to 13 for the match.
In the second game, Moises Reyes led Guatemala with 16 points, while Andy Leonardo tacked on 14 points. Jeyson Nery also collected 13 points in the victory. Roudolphe Wilems Gaethan paced Haiti with nine points.
Guatemala out-blocked Haiti 9-3 in the victory and held a 4-0 margin in aces.
“It’s obviously a good start for us to get a win,” US captain Sean Rooney said. “In my opinion, St. Lucia are a better team than we saw in September, the last time we played them, and it’s possible we might see them again in this tournament.”
“In the first set we were a little nervous, but by the third set we were totally confident and ended up playing really well,” Guatemalan setter Gerardo Gonzalez said. “We are excited to play the United States tomorrow and we’ll give all we have got.”
- Brilliant Barbara, Fabulous Fernanda newest Brazilian beach duo
- Iran, China to clash in final of Men's AVC Cup
- Olympic champs Ludwig and Walkenhorst aiming for new heights
- Bidding process opened for 2017 Men's Club World Championship
- Iran, Japan, China, Chinese Taipei reach AVC Cup semifinals
- 2017 World League Finals bidding process launched
- Angela Leyva in rising orbit ahead of 2017 World Grand Prix Group 2
- Ricardo and Andre win Brazil Tour opener
- World Championship beckons for Dominican Republic, Argentina and Cuba after U23 Pan Am Cup
- Talita/Larissa win gold at Brazil’s National Tour season opener
- Ahead of 2017 Grand Prix European squads excel in continental qualifiers
- Trentino 4th in Italian Supercup ahead of Club Worlds
- World League hopefuls all advance to European Championship finals
- China, Iran top preliminary-round pools in AVC Cup
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”