FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open starts Tuesday with 23 teams in men’s qualifier
Lausanne, Switzerland, May 5, 2014 — As final preparations are completed on the purpose built complex on the picturesque Playa Camarones, 23 men’s teams from 13 countries have converged for Tuesday’s men’s qualification tournament to start play in the double-gender US$150,000 FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open, the third event on the 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour calendar.
Brazil's three teams for the men's qualification tournament on Tuesday at the FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open get a late afternoon workout on court 2 of the purpose built complex on Playa Camarones adjacent to the Sheraton Buganvilias Resort. |
The Fédération Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB) international tour is back in Mexico for the first time since 2006 for its first event in Puerto Vallarta to be held on Playa Camarones adjacent to the Sheraton Buganvilias Resort and Convention Center. The FIVB World Tour has had eight previous tour stops in Mexico. Acapulco hosted double-gender events in 1999, 2005 and 2006 and Rosarito hosted one double-gender tour stop in 2000.
South American powerhouse Brazil has three teams seeded among the top six in the men’s qualifier and Canada and host country Mexico also have three teams each vying for the final eight spots in the 32-team main draw which starts for men on Wednesday. The top seeded qualification team is Brazil’s Gustavo Carvalhaes/Allison Cittadin while the other two Brazilian duos are No. 5 Hevaldo Morreira/Bruno De Paula and No. 6 Thiago Santos/Marcio Araujo.
Countries which have teams in Tuesday’s men’s FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open qualification tournament are: Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, China, Germany, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Norway, Spain, USA and Venezuela.
The FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open is the 300th FIVB men’s event since the FIVB began play in 1987 and the 263rd FIVB women’s tournament since each started play in 1992.
The second of 11 FIVB Open events in 2014, the FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open has men’s action running from Tuesday through Saturday and women’s competition running from Wednesday through Sunday. The tournament format has a one-day qualification tournament in to determine the final eight spots in each gender’s 32-team main draw tournaments followed by round-robin pool play and a single-elimination bracket for the final 24 teams. The men’s semifinals and medal matches will be held Saturday while the women’s semis and medal matches will be played on Sunday at the purpose-built stadium at Puerto Vallarta’s Playa Camarones.
As the host nation, Mexico receives three teams in each gender pre-seeded into the main draw. Mexico’s three teams in the men’s qualification tournament are, Julio Manrique/Mario Barragan, Jesus Vallejo/Gerardo Arriola and Emilio Betancourt/Gonzalo Cancino.
Visiting Puerto Vallarta for the first time, the FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open will be the ninth and 10th all-time FIVB World Tour men’s and women’s FIVB World Tour women’s tournament in Mexico. All double-gender events, the FIVB World Tour visited Acapulco in 1999, Rosarito Beach in 2000 and Acapulco again in both 2005 and 2006.
Mexico is also hosting the Inaugural FIVB Beach Volleyball U17 World Championships this year in Acapulco (July 15-20).
The gold medal teams in each gender in the FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open will each split $11,000, the silver $8,000, the bronze $6,000 and fourth place $4,500. The men medal matches will be held on Saturday and the women’s medal matches will be held on Sunday.
Based in Lausanne, Switzerland as the international governing body for the Olympic sports of Beach Volleyball and Volleyball, the 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour calendar features a record purse of US$10.2 million with a season that extends from late April to mid-December competing at 21 venues in 18 countries. This year’s FIVB World Tour includes a record 10 FIVB Grand Slam events, the inaugural Grand Slam Final and 11 FIVB Open Tournaments throughout the world, helping expand the door for development of the sport even further.
The 11 FIVB Open tournaments in 2014, seven double-gender, two men only and two women only, have $150,000 total purses for the double gender events and $75,000 for the single-gender competitions.
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight
- Puerto Rican Aury Cruz ties own scoring record
- Russia lead men’s U21 rankings
- Dominican Republic top women’s U20 rankings
- Japan host successful outreach programme
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- Eight teams vie for South American Championship crown
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open
- Milestone Saturday for Lucena & Dalhausser
- Zumkehr/Heidrich upset top seeds Wang/Yue to enter Xiamen Open semifinal
- Milestone gold medal for USA’s Lucena/Dalhausser in Xiamen Open
- Brazilian men stay top of FIVB World Ranking
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Participants Dalhausser & Lucena advance in China
- Latvia's Plavins/Regza storm to first FIVB World Tour semifinals at Xiamen Open
- Top seeds Yue/Wang unbeaten in pool play at Xiamen Open
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals participants beat the heat & humidity, stayin’ alive
- Nine berths still up for grabs as USA and Italy qualify for Rio
- Top seeds Wang/Yue off to good start in Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- President Graça praises outstanding World Cup
- Samoilovs/Smedins, Lucena/ Dalhausser reach last 16 at Xiamen Open
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Final Day
- USA’s Anderson heads Men’s World Cup Dream Team
- USA wrap up historic World Cup as Italy join them on road to Rio
- Russia crowns outstanding year with Men's U21 victory
- Dominican Republic celebrates historic success
- Top seeds Samoilovs/Smedins lead pool in Xiamen Open Main Draw
- Germany's Mersmann/Schneider lead eight teams into women's Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 10
- President Graça meets Peruvian congresswoman Chihuan
- Three teams to battle for Rio 2016 berth on final day of World Cup
- USA's Crabb brothers reach 2015 Xiamen Open Main Draw in first major tournament
- Day & Kessy jet-setting around the world - SoCal to China to FLA to SoCal
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 9