Algeria's GSP awarded Women's Club World Championship Wild Card
Lausanne, Switzerland, April 30, 2014 – The International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) and the organisers of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship Zurich 2014 have announced the final wild card for the FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship Zurich 2014 has been allocated to African champions G.S.Petroliers (GSP) of Algeria.
Safia Boukhima is one of the many star players who feature in both G.S.Petroliers and the Algerian national team|
GSP claimed the Africa club title for the second time on Sunday after beating last year’s FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship participants and Africa champions Kenya Prisons, and join hosts Volero Zurich, 2014 South America Women’s Club Championship champions Sesi-SP, European club champions Dinamo Kazan, the winners of the Asia Club Championship Japan’s Hisamitsu Springs and the other wild card team Molico Osasco of Brazil.
It is the first time Algeria is represented at the FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship but the second time for Africa after Posta of Kenya participated in the inaugural edition in 1991 and 1992, and Kenya Prisons played in the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 editions, finishing eighth and fifth respectively.
GSP, who boast many Algerian internationals in their side including libero Salima Hammouche, Aicha Mezemate, Zohra Bensalem, former national team skipper Fatima Zahra Oukazi and star spiker Safia Boukhima who participate in the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, will play in Pool A of the eighth edition of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship Zurich 2014, which features six teams split across two pools and will take place in the Saalsporthalle from May 7 to 11.
Molico Osasco and Hisamitsu Springs open the tournament with a Pool B match at 17:30 local time (15:30 GMT) before Volero Zurich take on SESI-SP in a Pool A game at 20:00 (18:00 GMT). GSP’s opening match will be against Volero Zurich on May 8 at 20:00 (18:00 GMT).
The FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship has had seven different winners from four different countries. Brazil has been represented on the winner’s podium three times, Turkey twice while Azerbaijan and Italy have had clubs step on the top podium once.
Last year’s tournament saw VakifBank Istanbul graduate from European to world champions in front of a packed Saalsporthalle in Zurich. The Turkey representatives beat their South American counterparts Unilever Volei from Brazil in straight sets 3-0 (25-23, 27-25, 25-16) to capture their first ever FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship title.
The FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship, which will take place in Belo Horizonte, Brazil from May 5 to 10, includes defending champions Sada Cruzeiro, who finished second to Italy’s Trentino in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Doha 2012, UPCN of Argentina, who qualified after finishing as runner-up at the South American Men’s Club Championship, European champions Belogorie Belgorod of Russia, African champions Esperance of Tunisia, the NORCECA representative Guaynabo Mets along with the Asia champions Matin Varamin of Iran. The two wild cards were allocated to four time champions Trentino of Italy and Qatar’s Al-Rayyan.
- Women’s Qualifier Opens Gstaad Major
- Egypt celebrates major triumph for African volleyball
- 360° images recreate finals magic
- Agatha and Barbara top rankings after Netherlands heroics
- Brazil dominates podium in The Hague
- FIVB World Tour resumes in Switzerland at Swatch FIVB Gstaad Major
- Brazil, China and USA complete weekend sweep in Group 1
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update following
FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships the Netherlands 2015
- Australians get second win in Group 1, Finns and Argentines grab 3-1 wins in Group 2
- Egypt win World League Group 3 Finals to advance in Group 2 next year
- Brazilian World Champions Show Improvement
- FIVB President applauds the Netherlands as beach volleyball embarks on new era
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event