Algeria's GSP awarded Women's Club World Championship Wild Card
Lausanne, Switzerland, April 30, 2014 – The International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) and the organisers of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship Zurich 2014 have announced the final wild card for the FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship Zurich 2014 has been allocated to African champions G.S.Petroliers (GSP) of Algeria.
Safia Boukhima is one of the many star players who feature in both G.S.Petroliers and the Algerian national team|
GSP claimed the Africa club title for the second time on Sunday after beating last year’s FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship participants and Africa champions Kenya Prisons, and join hosts Volero Zurich, 2014 South America Women’s Club Championship champions Sesi-SP, European club champions Dinamo Kazan, the winners of the Asia Club Championship Japan’s Hisamitsu Springs and the other wild card team Molico Osasco of Brazil.
It is the first time Algeria is represented at the FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship but the second time for Africa after Posta of Kenya participated in the inaugural edition in 1991 and 1992, and Kenya Prisons played in the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 editions, finishing eighth and fifth respectively.
GSP, who boast many Algerian internationals in their side including libero Salima Hammouche, Aicha Mezemate, Zohra Bensalem, former national team skipper Fatima Zahra Oukazi and star spiker Safia Boukhima who participate in the FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, will play in Pool A of the eighth edition of the FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship Zurich 2014, which features six teams split across two pools and will take place in the Saalsporthalle from May 7 to 11.
Molico Osasco and Hisamitsu Springs open the tournament with a Pool B match at 17:30 local time (15:30 GMT) before Volero Zurich take on SESI-SP in a Pool A game at 20:00 (18:00 GMT). GSP’s opening match will be against Volero Zurich on May 8 at 20:00 (18:00 GMT).
The FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship has had seven different winners from four different countries. Brazil has been represented on the winner’s podium three times, Turkey twice while Azerbaijan and Italy have had clubs step on the top podium once.
Last year’s tournament saw VakifBank Istanbul graduate from European to world champions in front of a packed Saalsporthalle in Zurich. The Turkey representatives beat their South American counterparts Unilever Volei from Brazil in straight sets 3-0 (25-23, 27-25, 25-16) to capture their first ever FIVB Volleyball Women’s Club World Championship title.
The FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship, which will take place in Belo Horizonte, Brazil from May 5 to 10, includes defending champions Sada Cruzeiro, who finished second to Italy’s Trentino in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Doha 2012, UPCN of Argentina, who qualified after finishing as runner-up at the South American Men’s Club Championship, European champions Belogorie Belgorod of Russia, African champions Esperance of Tunisia, the NORCECA representative Guaynabo Mets along with the Asia champions Matin Varamin of Iran. The two wild cards were allocated to four time champions Trentino of Italy and Qatar’s Al-Rayyan.
- Beach Volleyball - Family Sport Entertainment
- Beach volleyball’s success based on hard work
- Golden era for beach volleyball
- FIVB World Continental Cup Olympic Qualification tournament to take place in Russia
- Martinez chosen for 2020 PlayTrue Torch Relay Project
- World Tour Finals in Fort Lauderdale: Saving the best for last
- Eight teams earn men’s main draw spots at FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- The ABCs of Beach Volleyball - Agatha, Barbara and Consistency
- Challenges Create Court Confidence
- Brazilian women capture 19th gold in South American Championship
- Australia's Bawden and Clancy defend Asian title
- The Fan Zone - SWATCH Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 6
- FIVB World Tour 2016 starts in Mexico with FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals
- Brazilian Beach Clinic
- Brazil record 30th title win in Men's South American Championship
- Talita & Larissa net gold medal & “richest” prize
- Russian claim back-to-back European titles to cement status as Europe's Volleyball Queens
- Evandro & Pedro rebound for bronze medal finish
- Track stars become Beach Volleyball fans
- Brazilian world champions net SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals bronze medal
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 5
- Fort Lauderdale - Another key part of the beach volleyball success story
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 4
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Beach Volleyball rivalry blasts sky high
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight
- Puerto Rican Aury Cruz ties own scoring record
- Russia lead men’s U21 rankings
- Dominican Republic top women’s U20 rankings
- Japan host successful outreach programme
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- Eight teams vie for South American Championship crown
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open