2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour underway in China
Lausanne, Switzerland, April 27, 2014—Shifting this week from Fuzhou to Shanghai, the world’s best beach volleyball players finish their visit to China as the Fédération Internationale de Volleyball (FIVB) continues to launch the second year of the next Olympic cycle with its 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour.
Women's podium at FIVB Fuzhou Open, from left: Brazil's Maria Antonelli/Juliana Felisberta Silva (silver), USA's April Ross/Kerri Walsh Jennings (gold) and China's Xinyi Xia/Chen Xue move on to the US $800,000 FIVB Shanghai Grand Slam this week|
Last week’s season-opening US$150,000 FIVB Fuzhou Open got things go in resounding fashion Italy, Brazil and the Netherlands won the men’s medals and the United States, Brazil and China captured the podium in the women’s competition. The FIVB Fuzhou Open was the season opener for the 2014 FIVB World Tour and the first of seven double-gender FIVB Open tournaments on the 20014 calendar.
Winning the first FIVB World Tour gold medal in the history of their country, Italy’s seventh-seeded Daniele Lupo/Paulo Nicolai were impressive in defeating Brazil’s sixth-seeded Alison Cerutti/Bruno Oscar Schmidt as the new South American team captured the silver medal. The men’s bronze medal in Fuzhou went to Netherlands’ 12th-seeded Jon Stiekema/Christiaan Varenhorst upset Latvia’s 2013 FIVB World Rankings leaders Aleksandrs Samoilovs/Janis Smedins.
On the women’s side at the FIVB Fuzhou Open USA’s fourth-seeded three-time Olympic gold medalist Kerri Walsh Jennings and 2012 Olympic silver medalist April Ross took home the gold over Brazil’s 30th-seeded tandem of the legendary Juliana Felisberta Silva and new teammate Maria Antonelli. China’s top-seeded Xinyi Xia/Chen Xue won the bronze medal over fifth-seeded Brazilian sisters Carolina Salgado/Maria Clara Salgado.
The three podium duos in each gender have taken the opening lead in the 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour point and money standings. Gold in each FIVB Open event in 20014 earns $11,000 for the team to split with $8,000 split by each silver medal team and $6,000 split by each of the two bronze medalists.
The top three teams in each gender also receive 500, 450 and 400 points respectively to start the 2014 FIVB World Tour as the top three point leaders in their respective genders.
Statistically, in men’s action, Brazil’s Alison/Schmidt and Italy’s Lupo/Nicolai were both 6-1 (85.7%) in the FIVB Fuzhou Open, Canada’s Sam Pedlow/Grant O’Gorman was 5-1 (83.3%), while Brazil’s Emanuel Rego/Pedro Salgado and compatriots Alvaro Filho/Ricardo Santos were both 4-1 (80%).
For the women in Fuzhou, USA’s Walsh Jennings/A. Ross were a perfect 100 percent 7-0 to start the season while Brazil’s Juliana/Antonelli were 6-2 (80%) and China’s Fan Wang/Yuan Yue were 4-1 (80%).
Based in Lausanne, Switzerland as the international governing body for the Olympic sports of Beach Volleyball and Volleyball, the 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour calendar features a record purse of US$10.2 million with a season that extends from late April to mid-December competing at 21 venues in 18 countries. This year’s FIVB World Tour includes a record 10 FIVB Grand Slam events, the inaugural Grand Slam Finale and 11 FIVB Open Tournaments throughout the world, helping expand the door for development of the sport even further.
The 10 FIVB Grand Slam competitions, all double-gender, have eight with $800,000 in total purses while both The Hague, Netherlands and the Long Beach, Calif., USA event will have $1 million each in prize money, the most in FIVB Grand Slam history.
The 11 FIVB Open tournaments in 2014, seven double-gender, two men only and two women only, will have $150,000 total purses for the double gender events and $75,000 for the single-gender competitions.
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review