Former Dutch star Peter Blangé appointed Tournament Director of 2015 European Championship
Rotterdam, Netherlands, April 17, 2014 - Peter Blangé, the legendary setter of the Dutch national team that won gold at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, was recently appointed Tournament Director of the 2015 CEV Volleyball European Championship – Women that the Netherlands will co-host next year together with Belgium.
From left to right: Michel Everaert, Secretary General of the Dutch Volleyball Federation (NeVoBo), Peter Blangé, and Imre van Leeuwen of Shivers, the company that will be working with NeVoBo in the organisation of the European Championship |
His appointment was announced at the end of an inspection visit where CEV delegates visited each of the cities that will be hosting matches of the Championship.
The inspection visited lasted for three days and was carried out by a CEV delegation chaired by Board member Maris Pekalis of Latvia, including also ESOC member Luis Fernando Muchaga (Spain) and Silvia Sordelli of CEV partner Infront Sports & Media. They inspected the venues and all facilities that will be used for next year’s Championship in the cities of Antwerp, Eindhoven, Apeldoorn, and Rotterdam.
The CEV delegates were very impressed by the enthusiasm shown by each of the host cities as well as by the current state of their preparations for the 2015 European Championship.
Shortly before the dinner that rounded out the inspection visit, the organisers announced Blangé’s appointment as Tournament Director.
The former star setter – who recorded 500 caps with the Dutch national team, a record that still stands – will head the Organising Committee of the competition which is due to take place from September 26 to October 4, 2015.
“I feel very honoured with this appointment,” Blangé said. “The plans prepared by the Dutch and Belgian Volleyball Federations as well as by Shivers, the company we will be working with, feature all the ingredients to make a memorable tournament out of this Championship. I am confident that everything will be fine and the outcome will be good. We are very committed to deliver a great Volleyball festival,” he continued.
Blangé is a four-time Olympian who first debuted at Seoul 1988 before his next appearances followed in 1992 (Barcelona), 1996 (Atlanta) and 2000 (Sydney). His gold-medal winning performance at the Centennial Games in Atlanta was chosen as “Sports Moment of the Century” by the Dutch audience. After retiring from competitive sport, Blangé – who spent most of his career in Italy – has been active as a coach, heading both club teams as well as the Dutch national team.
- The Fan Zone - SWATCH Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 6
- FIVB World Tour 2016 starts in Mexico with FIVB Puerto Vallarta Open
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals
- Brazilian Beach Clinic
- Brazil record 30th title win in South American Championship
- Talita & Larissa net gold medal & “richest” prize
- Russian claim back-to-back European titles to cement status as Europe's Volleyball Queens
- Evandro & Pedro rebound for bronze medal finish
- Track stars become Beach Volleyball fans
- FIVB President Graça launches '9 goals' strategic plan
- Russia and the Netherlands to clash for European crown
- Beach Volleyball Impressions - 1981 from southern California to now in south Florida
- USA win third consecutive NORCECA title
- The Fan Zone - Swatch Beach Volleyball FIVB World Tour Finals - Day 4
- Brazil, Germany and USA pairs net Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals bracket berths
- USA face Dominican Republic in NORCECA Women’s Championship final
- Women’s EuroVolley semis are set; Russia play Serbia, Oranjes take on Turkey
- Brazilian world champions featured Wednesday
- Lost in America
- Italy, Poland, Belgium and Germany complete line-up for women’s EuroVolley quarterfinals
- “Wild Card” Tuesday at SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- 2017 Beach Volleyball World Championships bidding process extended
- SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals - Revised Side Court Schedule
- A mum who sides out
- Congress preparations in full swing as President Graça visits FeVA
- Netherlands, Russia, Serbia and Turkey progress to women's EuroVolley quarterfinals
- $500,000 Swatch FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour Finals
this week in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Brazilian city of Maceio host South American tournament calendar highlight
- Puerto Rican Aury Cruz ties own scoring record
- Russia lead men’s U21 rankings
- Dominican Republic top women’s U20 rankings
- Japan host successful outreach programme
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour season update after FIVB Xiamen Open
- Eight teams vie for South American Championship crown
- First FIVB World Tour gold for Switzerland's Heidrich/Zumkehr at Xiamen Open
- Milestone Saturday for Lucena & Dalhausser
- Zumkehr/Heidrich upset top seeds Wang/Yue to enter Xiamen Open semifinal
- Milestone gold medal for USA’s Lucena/Dalhausser in Xiamen Open
- Brazilian men stay top of FIVB World Ranking
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Participants Dalhausser & Lucena advance in China
- Latvia's Plavins/Regza storm to first FIVB World Tour semifinals at Xiamen Open
- Top seeds Yue/Wang unbeaten in pool play at Xiamen Open
- Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals participants beat the heat & humidity, stayin’ alive
- Nine berths still up for grabs as USA and Italy qualify for Rio
- Top seeds Wang/Yue off to good start in Main Draw at Xiamen Open
- President Graça praises outstanding World Cup
- Samoilovs/Smedins, Lucena/ Dalhausser reach last 16 at Xiamen Open
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Men's World Cup Japan 2015 - Final Day
- USA’s Anderson heads Men’s World Cup Dream Team
- USA wrap up historic World Cup as Italy join them on road to Rio