FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
Lausanne, Switzerland, April 16, 2014 – The qualification process for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014 is complete after the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) and the organisers of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014 announced on Wednesday that the two wild cards for this year’s event, which will take place from May 5 to 10, have been allocated to four time champions Trentino of Italy and Qatar’s Al-Rayyan.
Trentino are the most successful team in FIVB Volleyball Men's Club World Championship history with four titles from 2009 to 2012 and a bronze medal last year|
Trentino are the most successful club in FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship history having won four successive titles from 2009 to 2012 before finishing third last year in Betim. They missed out on qualifying for the FIVB Volleyball Men's Club World Championship this year after being knocked in the European Champions League quarterfinals. The three time European champions also failed to defend their Italian League title after also being knocked out in the quarterfinals last month by Modena.
Meanwhile, Al-Rayyan’s only previous appearance in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship was in 2012 when they finished fifth with one victory over Mexico’s Tigres UANL after participating as the host club. However, their silver medal performance at the Asian Men’s Club Championship, where they lost to reigning champions Matin Varamin of Iran 3-1 (19-25, 25-17, 26-24, 25-16) despite the best efforts of their Italian star player Cristian Savani in the final on Wednesday, earned them the coveted second wild card.
The wild card decisions, which were made jointly between the FIVB and the organisers, completes the eight-team qualification process for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014.
Defending champions Sada Cruzeiro, who finished second to Italy’s Trentino in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Doha 2012, are joined by UPCN of Argentina, who qualified after finishing as runner-up at the South American Men’s Club Championship, Europe champions Belogorie Belgorod of Russia, African champions Esperance of Tunisia, the NORCECA representative Guaynabo Mets along with the Asia champions Matin Varamin of Iran.
The FIVB Volleyball Men's Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014 will be followed by the women's tournament, which will take place from May 7 to 11 in Zurich, Switzerland.
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 9 - LIVE
- Talking Stats: 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour - Oct 1
- Second round has arrived with promises of more exciting matches
- Video challenge eyes the court in second and final round
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 8 - As It Happened
- Introducing Round 2: Russia, USA, Turkey and Bulgaria seek a pass to the Final Six
- Coaches in Trieste expect a close affair
- 2014 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update after 14 events
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 7 - As It Happened
- Vargas has memory to cherish
- Sheilla: In the heart of Italian fans
- Asian Games favourites show determination in men's tournament
- First round concludes with thrilling matches across Italy
- Ma-Xia win beach volleyball gold at Asian Games
- First FIVB World Tour medal bittersweet for Italy's Menegatti/Orsi Toth
- Call brings old Brazilian friends back together on the beach
- Turkey, Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Belgium claim last second round tickets
- President Medina visits Dominican compatriots in Italy
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 6 - As It Happened
- Brazil holds off Italy to win women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Netherlands stops Brazil for men’s gold medal at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China’s Ma-Xia to face Thailand’s Udomchavee-Radarong in the final of Asian Games beach volleyball tournament
- Final four spots into Women's World Championship 2nd Round to be settled Sunday
- Korea, Japan, Iran, China men top pools in Asian Games
- Varenhorst calls in the Experience to FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Beach growing in the land of Volleyball
- Korea, China, Thailand, Japan advance to Asian Games semis
- Fourth day capped by exciting action, big crowds
- Brazil, Netherlands to tangle for men’s gold Sunday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- China keep a clean sheet; four second round spots still open
- Brazil to meet Italy for women’s gold at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 5 - As It Happened
- Last-minute invite leads Popp to fifth place at FIVB Sao Paulo Grand Slam
- Four China teams make Asian Games beach volleyball semis
- Teams scramble for open spots into the second round
- Men’s final four set for Saturday’s semifinals at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Women’s final four set for Saturday’s semis at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Slow end doesn't dull Czech Republic's Slukova/Kolocova breakthrough year
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 4 - As It Happened
- “Catherine the Great” sets sights on title hat-trick
- Twenty-four men’s duos advance from pool play Thursday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Down to seven undefeated teams in Italy
- Canada's Binstock/Schachter earn memorable triple in São Paulo
- Women’s field reduced to 24 teams at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam
- Seven teams claim second round tickets at FIVB Women’s World Championship
- FIVB Women's World Championship - Day 3 - As it Happened
- Were you at the final?
- Austria's Schwaiger on road to Rio with new teammate
- Day three to feature first meetings with eight undefeated teams
- Ten unbeaten women’s teams Wednesday at FIVB São Paulo Grand Slam