FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
Lausanne, Switzerland, April 16, 2014 – The qualification process for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014 is complete after the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) and the organisers of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014 announced on Wednesday that the two wild cards for this year’s event, which will take place from May 5 to 10, have been allocated to four time champions Trentino of Italy and Qatar’s Al-Rayyan.
Trentino are the most successful team in FIVB Volleyball Men's Club World Championship history with four titles from 2009 to 2012 and a bronze medal last year|
Trentino are the most successful club in FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship history having won four successive titles from 2009 to 2012 before finishing third last year in Betim. They missed out on qualifying for the FIVB Volleyball Men's Club World Championship this year after being knocked in the European Champions League quarterfinals. The three time European champions also failed to defend their Italian League title after also being knocked out in the quarterfinals last month by Modena.
Meanwhile, Al-Rayyan’s only previous appearance in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship was in 2012 when they finished fifth with one victory over Mexico’s Tigres UANL after participating as the host club. However, their silver medal performance at the Asian Men’s Club Championship, where they lost to reigning champions Matin Varamin of Iran 3-1 (19-25, 25-17, 26-24, 25-16) despite the best efforts of their Italian star player Cristian Savani in the final on Wednesday, earned them the coveted second wild card.
The wild card decisions, which were made jointly between the FIVB and the organisers, completes the eight-team qualification process for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014.
Defending champions Sada Cruzeiro, who finished second to Italy’s Trentino in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Doha 2012, are joined by UPCN of Argentina, who qualified after finishing as runner-up at the South American Men’s Club Championship, Europe champions Belogorie Belgorod of Russia, African champions Esperance of Tunisia, the NORCECA representative Guaynabo Mets along with the Asia champions Matin Varamin of Iran.
The FIVB Volleyball Men's Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014 will be followed by the women's tournament, which will take place from May 7 to 11 in Zurich, Switzerland.
- Latvian fans give Plavins and Regza timely boost
- President Graça meets Tokyo 2020 Organising Committee
- New Italy coach Blengini and Juantorena claim win in run-up to World Cup
- Expectations rise as U21 World Championship nears
- Cuban captain says volleyball made dream come true
- Kantor and Losiak use home comforts to continue rapid development
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 5
- Walsh keeping Olympic dream alive in Olsztyn
- Russia top World Cup first round rankings
- Nine clubs to compete for Asian title
- Cheeky Swiss pair upsets Pedro & Evandro
- Russia, Cuba, Italy and Turkey secure top 8 spots at Men's U23
- Canadians hit stride early in Olsztyn
- Austrians and Aussies progress in Olsztyn
- Van Gestel and van der Vlist hit form after injury break
- Top favourites succeed in Day 4 of World Cup
- President Graça commends Fuji TV’s excellent World Cup coverage
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 4
- Bawden and Clancy dare to dream of Copacabana Beach
- Poland celebrates first U19 World Championship title
- Finding a foothold
- Russia win clash of Titans at Men's U23 World Championship
- President Graça welcomes new JVA management to volleyball family
- Lima and Fernanda survive qualification to reach Olsztyn main draw
- New partner, new options for Marketa Slukova
- SoCal sojourn inspires Squeo
- Rankings, rankings and rankings
- Brazil’s next big thing!
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 3
- Favourites start victorious at Men's U23 World Championship
- VOTE: Will Russia get their reward?
- Russia stand as lone unbeaten team on Day 3 of World Cup
- Follow the Men's U23 World Championship in the United Arab Emirates
- World champs lead the way in Olsztyn
- FIVB World Tour heading to Poland for FIVB Olsztyn Grand Slam
- 2015 FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour update following FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal, USA
- Keeping it simple for world champions!
- Alison & Bruno continue winning ways on FIVB World Tour
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 2
- Talita & Larissa SoCal Golden Girls
- Coaches name Brazil, Russia and Italy as Men's U23 favourites
- China and Russia score back-to-back wins on Day 2 of World Cup
- Austrians' magical sand
- As It Happened - FIVB Volleyball Women's World Cup Japan 2015 - Day 1
- Russia, Cuba, USA, China, Peru and Japan seal victories in World Cup opener
- Taichung Bank capture maiden Asian Men’s Club title
- The future is bright for Women's U23 champions Brazil
- Teams in Tokyo all set for World Cup opening day
- VOTE: Top of the class?
- Rising star Souza takes Brazil forward