FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
Lausanne, Switzerland, April 16, 2014 – The qualification process for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014 is complete after the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) and the organisers of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014 announced on Wednesday that the two wild cards for this year’s event, which will take place from May 5 to 10, have been allocated to four time champions Trentino of Italy and Qatar’s Al-Rayyan.
Trentino are the most successful team in FIVB Volleyball Men's Club World Championship history with four titles from 2009 to 2012 and a bronze medal last year|
Trentino are the most successful club in FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship history having won four successive titles from 2009 to 2012 before finishing third last year in Betim. They missed out on qualifying for the FIVB Volleyball Men's Club World Championship this year after being knocked in the European Champions League quarterfinals. The three time European champions also failed to defend their Italian League title after also being knocked out in the quarterfinals last month by Modena.
Meanwhile, Al-Rayyan’s only previous appearance in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship was in 2012 when they finished fifth with one victory over Mexico’s Tigres UANL after participating as the host club. However, their silver medal performance at the Asian Men’s Club Championship, where they lost to reigning champions Matin Varamin of Iran 3-1 (19-25, 25-17, 26-24, 25-16) despite the best efforts of their Italian star player Cristian Savani in the final on Wednesday, earned them the coveted second wild card.
The wild card decisions, which were made jointly between the FIVB and the organisers, completes the eight-team qualification process for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014.
Defending champions Sada Cruzeiro, who finished second to Italy’s Trentino in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Doha 2012, are joined by UPCN of Argentina, who qualified after finishing as runner-up at the South American Men’s Club Championship, Europe champions Belogorie Belgorod of Russia, African champions Esperance of Tunisia, the NORCECA representative Guaynabo Mets along with the Asia champions Matin Varamin of Iran.
The FIVB Volleyball Men's Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014 will be followed by the women's tournament, which will take place from May 7 to 11 in Zurich, Switzerland.
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review
- Alison and Bruno hit new heights on way to Olympic glory
- Final chance to have your say and win
- Olympic anniversary celebrated with Legends match