FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship wild cards go to Trentino and Al-Rayyan
Lausanne, Switzerland, April 16, 2014 – The qualification process for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014 is complete after the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) and the organisers of the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014 announced on Wednesday that the two wild cards for this year’s event, which will take place from May 5 to 10, have been allocated to four time champions Trentino of Italy and Qatar’s Al-Rayyan.
Trentino are the most successful team in FIVB Volleyball Men's Club World Championship history with four titles from 2009 to 2012 and a bronze medal last year|
Trentino are the most successful club in FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship history having won four successive titles from 2009 to 2012 before finishing third last year in Betim. They missed out on qualifying for the FIVB Volleyball Men's Club World Championship this year after being knocked in the European Champions League quarterfinals. The three time European champions also failed to defend their Italian League title after also being knocked out in the quarterfinals last month by Modena.
Meanwhile, Al-Rayyan’s only previous appearance in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship was in 2012 when they finished fifth with one victory over Mexico’s Tigres UANL after participating as the host club. However, their silver medal performance at the Asian Men’s Club Championship, where they lost to reigning champions Matin Varamin of Iran 3-1 (19-25, 25-17, 26-24, 25-16) despite the best efforts of their Italian star player Cristian Savani in the final on Wednesday, earned them the coveted second wild card.
The wild card decisions, which were made jointly between the FIVB and the organisers, completes the eight-team qualification process for the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014.
Defending champions Sada Cruzeiro, who finished second to Italy’s Trentino in the FIVB Volleyball Men’s Club World Championship Doha 2012, are joined by UPCN of Argentina, who qualified after finishing as runner-up at the South American Men’s Club Championship, Europe champions Belogorie Belgorod of Russia, African champions Esperance of Tunisia, the NORCECA representative Guaynabo Mets along with the Asia champions Matin Varamin of Iran.
The FIVB Volleyball Men's Club World Championship Belo Horizonte 2014 will be followed by the women's tournament, which will take place from May 7 to 11 in Zurich, Switzerland.
- Silver medal finish boasts Fernanda & Lima’s FIVB World Tour rankings
- FIVB Volleyball World Grand Prix, Day 5: Brazil, China, USA all two-from-two in Group 1 to start 2015 tournament
- FIVB Volleyball World League Day 25 - USA secure top spot in Pool B, France finish Pool play with a perfect 12 wins
- Montenegro and Egypt to play for the gold in Group 3 Finals
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Nine - As It Happened
- USA’s Brunner/Lucena Trying to Capture Magic from Season’s Past
- World Grand Prix in full swing with start of Groups 1 and 2
- World League highlights three superb five-setters on Day 24
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Eight - As It Happened
- Brazilian Semifinal Victories Net Olympic Berth
- 50/50 chances for semifinal Holtwick/Semmler versus Lima/Fernanda
- Heartbreak for brave Bawden and Clancy at World Championships
- Australia competing to stay among volleyball's best
- World League Group 3 finalists have their say
- Smejkal: "Second place in pool D is our goal"
- Turkey hosts USA, Belgium, Italy in World Grand Prix
- Vercesi: "Securing a spot at the Finals remains our main objective"
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 7
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day Seven - As It Happened
- Brazil captures both quarterfinals Thursday in amazing Apeldoorn
- Day 23 sees Brazil and France extend their lead after both record straight sets victories
- Lucena and Brunner lead semifinals charges as Amsterdam closes for business
- Peru, Colombia, Cuba and Kazakhstan prepare for Pool P encounters in Trujillo
- U20 Drawing of Lots ceremony held in Puerto Rico
- Antiga: "We are now playing for a ticket to the Finals in Rio"
- Alluring Apeldoorn anxiously awaits awesome aria of Quarterfinals tonight
- Australia take on Serbia and Turkey play USA, live on YouTube
- Juliana and Maria Antonelli win Brazilian battle to advance
- Poland and USA prepare for Pool B climax
- Sanderson ready for emotional homecoming
- Qataris move on to quarter-finals
- World Grand Prix Pool A coaches expect challenging weekend
- Americans, Dutch, Germans & Russian Post Elimination Wins
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships Day Six - As It Happened
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 6
- Awesome Apeldoorn angst approaching Thursday’s Round of 16, quarterfinals
- Qataris upset the form book to advance in Amsterdam
- FIVB President congratulates Amsterdam on spectacular event
- World champs live stream opens
- Predictable Women Winners Wednesday
- Amiable Apeldoorn absolutely awesome area for elimination rounds
- Paraguay's Michelle/Filippo incredible experience in Apeldoorn
- Juliana and Larissa set up Amsterdam showdown
- World Grand Prix Week 2 preview: All 28 teams play in thrilling matches around the world
- World League Week 8 preview: Group 3 finalists in the spotlight
- Three Dutch men’s teams advance to elimination rounds
- Artacho and Laird out to cause an upset in Amsterdam
- Getting Social: FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5
- FIVB Beach Volleyball World Championships 2015 Day 5 - Day 5 As It Happened
- World champs has huge social media impact