Polish Volleyball hero Mariusz Wlazly returns to national team
Warsaw, Poland, April 9, 2014 - Poland’s Volleyball star Mariusz Wlazly is returning to play for the national team after making his last appearance for the red-and-white side at the 2010 FIVB Volleyball World Championship in Italy.
Mariusz Wlazly playing for the Polish national team at the 2010 FIVB World Championship in Italy, his last appearance to date with the side in red-and-white jerseys |
The comeback of the world-class opposite currently playing for PGE Skra BELCHATOW was announced on Polsat by the head coach of the Polish national team, Stéphane Antiga.
Another player who is coming back to the group is setter Pawel Zagumny who did not play for Poland for the past two years. Lukasz Zygadlo, who got injured shortly before the start of the current season, is also among those listed by Antiga for the 2014 campaign whose climax will be the World Championship that the world’s Volleyball “Mecca” is going to host from August 30 to September 21.
“I have called up players with experience and whose quality is well-known. I have nominated 26 players because the season will be very long and we have many competitions ahead,” the French-born mentor said.
Poland will start their campaign already in mid-May with the second round of qualification for the 2015 CEV Volleyball European Championship where they will take on Slovenia, Latvia and one team qualifying through the First Round. If they finish first at the end of the double round robin in Wroclaw and Ljubljana Poland will book their spot for the Final Round to be co-hosted by Bulgaria and Italy in September 2015.
The Polish national team will also participate in the FIVB World League as well as in the CEV Volleyball European League later this summer. This will be Poland’s debut in the European League where they were assigned to Pool A alongside the likes of Greece, Montenegro, Romania and Azerbaijan. “The calendar is very tight and the risk of an injury is always round the corner, so that is why I called 26 players,” Antiga stressed.
The players will meet on May 5 in Warsaw and straight away move to Spala to prepare for the start of the season. “I can’t way for that day to come. My wish is that our season will end on September 21 in Katowice, playing for a medal at the World Championship,” Antiga said.
The 26 players called by Antiga to compose the roster of the Polish national team for the 2014 season are:
Setters: Fabian Drzyzga, Pawel Zagumny, Lukasz Zygadlo, Pawel Woicki
Opposites: Grzegorz Bociek, Mariusz Wlazly, Dawid Konarski, Zbigniew Bartman, Dominik Witczak
Wing-spikers: Michal Kubiak, Michal Winiarski, Bartosz Kurek, Michal Ruciak, Mateusz Mika, Rafal Buszek, Wojciech Ferens
Middle-blockers: Piotr Nowakowski, Marcin Mozdzonek, Lukasz Wisniewski, Karol Klos, Lukasz Perlowski, Andrzej Wrona, Piotr Hain
Liberos: Pawel Zatorski, Damian Wojtaszek, Krzysztof Ignaczak
- Brazil’s Pedro/Evandro wins battle of Olympians over USA for gold at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross overcomes Spain’s Lili/Elsa for gold medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers