Board puts volleyball on the path to greater success
Lausanne, Switzerland, April 3, 2014 –The International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) Board of Administration completed vibrant discussions on key subjects in order to take volleyball towards an exciting new era on the opening day of its annual meeting at the Lausanne headquarters on Thursday.
The members of the FIVB Board of Administration outside the FIVB headquarters in Lausanne|
FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° encouraged all the members to carry on the outstanding spirit which is currently enveloping the FIVB and its member federations in his opening address of the meeting before the FIVB Board of Administration members discussed and approved many proposals throughout the day to go to the FIVB Congress, all in the aim of taking the FIVB and the sport of volleyball to a new level of dynamism and innovation.
The FIVB Board of Administration received proposals from the FIVB Finance, Press, Legal, Development, Technical, Coaching and Medical Commissions. All approved proposals will go forward to the FIVB Congress, which will be held from October 31 to November 1 in Milan, Italy.
The meeting started with the FIVB President Dr. Ary S. Graça F° encouraging all members to focus on what lies ahead. “Together we have a bright future, to be bigger than we are today,” he said. “Let’s help volleyball, with your help and support we will succeed in this mission.”
The President concluded the meeting by applauding all the members for their active contribution. "This shows to me, everyone is inline with our vision and inspired by the direction of where volleyball is going."
The guest of honour at the FIVB Board of Administration meeting was Olympic Broadcasting Services Chief Executive Officer Yiannis Exarchos who outlined the key changes in Olympic television and the exciting future ahead.
With all 32 members in attendance, plus the Presidents of the 11 FIVB Commissions and Sports Events Council, it made for a packed meeting room and invigorating debate.
The Board approved the FIVB Treasurer’s Report, the Budget, the External Audit Report by Ernst & Young, the Financial Controller’s Report and the Internal Audit Report. It also ratified the date and location of the next FIVB Congress - In Milan, Italy form October 31 to November 1.
The members also received an update on the proposed extension of the FIVB headquarters to include a “Hall of Dreams” – a virtual museum for which the project is expected to start in July.
The second and final day of the Board of Administration will be completed on Friday, with reports from the Beach Volleyball Commission, Sports Events Council, Rules of the Game Commission and TV & New Media Commission on the agenda in addition to the reports from each of the five Confederations.
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins roar to bronze medal win at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Germany’s Sude/Laboureur capture bronze medal at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Olympians from Brazil and USA to battle for gold Medal Sunday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross vs. Spain’s Lili/Elsa for women’s gold medal Sunday at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Brazil, Italy, Latvia and USA earn men's semifinal spots Saturday at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/ Ross leading women’s field to Saturday semis at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Italy’s Rangheiri/Caminati win twice Friday to earn quarterfinal spot at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Hughes/Claes enjoy ‘summer school’ on the FIVB Beach Volleyball World Tour
- Latvia’s Samoilovs/Smedins win their pool 3-0 on Thursday
- Spain’s Fernandez/Baquerizo lead six 3-0 women’s duos to elimination rounds
- USA’s Walsh Jennings/Ross enjoy two home sand wins Wednesday in Long Beach
- USA Olympians Lucena/Dalhausser start quickly at Long Beach Grand Slam
- Trips to Toronto at stake in Long Beach
- Press review: Volleyball still making headlines after rumble in Rio
- Brazil’s George/Thiago progress to main draw at FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- USA’s Larsen/Flint among eight women qualifiers for main draw at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam
- Priddy completes fourth Olympics with pride
- Joy and gratitude for silver medallists Agatha and Barbara
- Serginho highlights role of libero with Rio 2016 MVP award
- Press review: Brazil crowned in spectacular Olympic finale
- MVP Zhu Ting celebrates Chinese team spirit
- Alison and Bruno split gold medal with coach
- From Rio to Tokyo, the countdown for 2020 is on!
- Social media heats up as Brazil top volleyball world
- For USA’s Lee, “Tokyo no, World Championships yes, if they will have me!”
- 2016 FIVB World Tour regular season finale in USA at $800,000 FIVB Long Beach Grand Slam in SoCal
- Tetyukhin's quarter-century Olympic journey comes to tearful end
- Lang Ping becomes first person in volleyball to win Olympic gold as player and coach
- China ride wave of fans' support to gold
- Volleyball men's top guns set for final battle in Rio
- Social media takes Maracanazinho women's medal match drama around the globe
- Dutchmen “floating” home to meet the "King"! Then Toronto?
- Sloetjes rises above disappointment, looks ahead to Tokyo 2020
- Women's Rio 2016 final an all-female affair
- Europeans showing no gap exists with traditional powers
- This is what it's all about: The medals of Rio 2016
- 16 days of Volleyball House activity ends in true Rio style
- Kiraly “phenomenal feeling” after winning fifth Olympic medal
- Video: The Today Show’s take on Bossaball
- Order rules as referees visit Volleyball House
- 2016 FIVB World Tour update after Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Magic of Copacabana takes over social media
- Unique Maracanazinho semifinal atmosphere captured on social media
- Rematches of Athens 2004 for gold and bronze in Rio 2016
- Medal time is here for women’s tournament
- FIVB delivers impressive sports presentation masterclass at Rio 2016 Olympic Games
- Flashback Friday: Volleyball House celebrates Brazil’s Atlanta 1996 heroes
- Alison and Ludwig top Rio 2016 Olympic performers
- Copa Courts sets the scene for future Special Olympics activities
- TALKIN’ STATS: Rio 2016 Olympic Games Beach Volleyball Men’s Review