OBS guest of honour at FIVB Board meeting
Lausanne, Switzerland, April 3, 2014 - Olympic Broadcasting Services (OBS) Chief Executive Officer Yiannis Exarchos outlined the key changes in Olympic television and the exciting future ahead during his guest presentation to the International Volleyball Federation (FIVB) Board of Administration meeting on Thursday.
Olympic Broadcasting Services Chief Executive Officer Yiannis Exarchos presents to the FIVB Board of Administration|
“I am honoured by this invitation,” Mr Exarchos said. “It’s clear the FIVB is moving in the right direction when it comes to broadcasting and communication but sport is faced with huge challenges, and it is the same with broadcasting. The competition for the viewers attention is growing rapidly so I embrace the decision of the President to have this discussion.
"The Olympic Games are usually the first introduction to an unknown sport. Understanding the sport and the beauty of the sport is the key feedback from viewers. The Olympic Games is also the unique opportunity for sport to present itself to the world therefore that is why the protection of the independence of the broadcast coverage is fundamental but equally important is change, especially in this day and age towards innovation and technology.
“Volleyball has undergone major positive changes during the last 10 to 15 years including the change to the Rally Point system. Beach volleyball is continuing to evolve, making the sport more interesting and dynamic for new audiences but we look forward to working with you to bring a greater experience for the viewer and to take volleyball to another level in terms of its presentation and engagement with the audience.”
FIVB TV and New Media Commission President Fernando Lima emphasised that the role of communication is very important for the delivery of any sport.
“It’s through communication kids can enjoy the sport. Through the past decades the big change was the possibility to deliver super quality images through television. Now we are not just talking about television but new media digital tools, but television is the most essential tool to deliver content, that is why we had OBS with us today.”
- Ze Roberto to stay on as coach of Brazil women's team
- Walsh Jennings entering the “unknown”
- At 34, Isabelle Forrer wraps up a glittering career
- Change of guard for Venezuela's men's National Team after departure of Nacci
- “It’s been a long season”
- One month on, Rio in our hearts
- China confirm Olympic supremacy with Asian Cup title
- Men's Club World Championship takes on Olympic flavour as rosters are unveiled
- Looking back: China win Olympic gold
- Notable retirements at the SWATCH FIVB World Tour Finals
- Beach volleyball players explore Toronto
- Where do beach volleyball players keep their Olympic medals?
- Olympic champions seeking SWATCH Finals validation
- “Johnny Hyden, young and getting younger.”
- Germans not thinking about the money
- High Stakes on Polson Pier Saturday
- How Aleksandrs “The Lion King” Samoilovs earned his nickname
- Former heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis watches beach volleyball match
- Epic women's SWATCH semifinals set
- Brazil, Canada, Latvia and Poland post final men's SWATCH pool wins
- Women’s elimination matches highlight Friday’s SWATCH Finals schedule
- Beach volleyball venue earning rave reviews in Toronto
- German gals add drama to their talent
- Polish Pride on Polson Pier
- Busy Beach Volleyball schedule for Polson Pier Thursday
- Hyden's clock still ticking in Toronto
- Brazilians, Canadians & Swiss post opening women’s SWATCH Finals wins
- 2017 World Grand Prix draw completed - Olympic champions China to play silver medallists Serbia in Week 3
- Increase in teams and record prize money headlines World Grand Prix Council meeting
- Referee preparation programme praised
- FIVB Volleyball House wins award for best hospitality house of Olympic Games in Legacy category
- Beach Volleyball vibes in Canada
- Olympic final rematch confirmed as 2017 World League draw completed
- Quality and consistency key to success of a global World League
- SWATCH birthday present awaits Bansley?
- Rio 2016 stars to descend on Manila for Club World Champs
- Toronto becomes the “Capital of Beach Volleyball”
- As the Mikasa Turns - Bansley & Pavan "split" conversation
- Argentina win U23 Men’s Pan American Cup
- TALKIN’ STATS: Swatch FIVB World Tour Finals Preview
- Toronto's Tuesday Trial - Pavan’s pristine picture?
- Smashed, tied, revised or still standing: The Records of Rio 2016
- Pools and schedule outlined for Men's Club World Champs
- Trentino, UPCN and Bolivar join top teams at Men’s Club World Champs
- Lupo and Nicolai staying grounded despite Rio silver
- Schedule set as World Tour Finals countdown enters final week
- A month after opening, Brazil still bask in Rio 2016 gold glory
- Relive Egypt's Olympic beach volleyball debut
- One month after first serve, memories of Rio still stay strong
- Reminiscing Rio and the delights of Copacabana